With students submitting the Common Application for the first time, the University saw the number of total undergraduate applicants once again reach an all-time high this year.

The admissions office has received 22,427 applications, a 10-percent increase over last year's total of 20,423, according to Dean of Admissions Lee Stetson.

The jump represented the largest increase in the Ivy League, with all eight schools except for Harvard University reporting numbers. Yale University, with a 9.7-percent decrease, was the only school to see a drop.

Records were also set for the number of African American, Hispanic and international applicants, as well as for 32 different states across the country.

Stetson said he believes Penn's increase is more so a product of the University's recruiting efforts than the addition of the Common App, adding that he only expected 1,000 more applications as a result of the new application.

"The Common Application accounts for some, but not all of, the increase," Stetson said. The numbers really "reflect the positive visibility of the University."

Stetson's assessment was reiterated by admissions experts, who said Penn's rigorous supplement would deter those who would apply simply because the Common App is fast and simple.

The increase is truly a product of the growing popularity of Penn's urban location and academic programs, said college counselor Noreen Cambria of Cambria Associates.

"Penn has always been on the cutting edge of reaching out to the global community," added Wharton alumnus Adam Goldberg, a counselor for the New England Educational Advisory Service.

Overall, the University rebounded from a 2.5-percent decrease in applicants from Early Decision with 18,439 regular decision applicants, a total increase of 13 percent over last year's overall total of 16,363.

Applicant totals for each undergraduate school were up across the board, with Engineering experiencing the biggest jump - a 17-percent increase. Wharton applicants rose 13 percent, while the College and Nursing both increased by seven percent.

The racial diversity of the applicant pool skyrocketed, with African Americans increasing 20 percent and Hispanics rising 18 percent.

Following a trend that was apparent since early decision, international applications jumped 19 percent.

The applicant pool also experienced astonishing growth in geographic diversity compared to past years.

Stetson characterized this year's applicant pool as "dramatically more representative of the nation," with 57 percent of all applications coming from outside the Northeast Corridor.

Penn is more popular locally as well, with the number of applicants from Philadelphia rising 12 percent, from 485 to 543.

The 1,325 legacy applicants also set a record by making up 6 percent of the entire pool.

Stetson said that it is too early to release any academic statistics, but that "it is fair to say that this is a strong academic group."

The admissions office is still expecting about 60 more applications to be added to the final count, bringing the total to about 22,500.