In his last match, Jason Pinsky's bid to win the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Men's Regional on his home courts was denied by the eventual champion, Virginia Tech's Arvid Puranean.

As the snow thaws outside the Levy Tennis Pavilion three months later, Pinsky readies himself for an even grander challenge - leading No. 50 Penn to the NCAA Tournament.

"With our success last year came a tougher schedule this year," the No. 1-singles player said. "We have many opportunities to make the NCAA tournament, which is our main goal."

With three top-25 teams on tap this year, Pinsky will be faced with the toughest competition of his career - likely including nationally top-100 ranked players at Duke, Oklahoma State, and Boise State.

After transferring from Vanderbilt after his freshman year, Pinsky earned first-team All-Ivy honors with a 27-6 singles record in his first season with the Quakers.

The current junior carried his success into last fall, helping the team defend its ECAC Championship. Pinsky posted a 3-1 mark in the tournament, with his loss coming in the quarterfinals to Princeton's Peter Capkovic.

Two weeks later, the No. 3-seeded Pinsky dropped one set in four matches en route to the ITA Championship semi-finals. There, he lost a hard-fought battle to Puranean, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.

"I haven't really let that [match] affect my play," the Penn righty said of his eighth loss since 2005.

But the Quakers know that even though there is an ever present spotlight on No. 1 singles, a solid season from Pinsky hardly means their job is done.

"There is no specific guy that needs to step up," junior Brandon O'Gara said. "Tennis is an individual sport in high school, but a team sport in college."

While there is no question that Pinsky is Penn's number-one man this season, head coach Mark Riley may not slate him atop the lineup every match.

"I don't think there is any reason to mess around with our top three," Riley said. But "I think that you're going to see [Mikhail] Bekker and [Jonathan] Boym playing some one [singles] this year, and that has nothing to do with Pinsky not being the one. I think those guys are capable."

Bekker, whose younger brother also competes for the Quakers, posted a 28-8 record at second singles last season.

Last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year, Jonathan Boym, looks to continue his success at third singles, where he went 26-7 last year.

That said, Pinsky will be stepping on the top court Wednesday afternoon for the Quakers' first match against Saint Joseph's.

Ironically enough, this match will be a chance for revenge for Pinsky. Pinsky was accountable in the Quakers' only loss in last season's shutout of the Hawks, falling 9-8(3) at No. 1 doubles.