0992ywp2
'Almanac' Editor Marguerite Miller pins a name tag to her shirt at the trustees' annual midterm meeting in Houston Hall.

University President Amy Gutmann echoed her commitment to remain Penn's president at yesterday's Board of Trustees meeting.

"I will say it, and I will say it for the last time: I am absolutely committed to being Penn's president, and I am not interested in any other presidency," Gutmann said.

Coming in the midst of Harvard University's stated presidential search - and recent news that Gutmann made the list of the top 30 potential candidates to fill that post - Gutmann repeated statements she has made throughout the semester that she intends to remain at Penn.

Gutmann also commented on the upcoming departure of Wharton Dean Patrick Harker, who will be moving to the University of Delaware in July to assume the presidency there.

"Pat bleeds red and blue," Gutmann said. "And there is a lot to celebrate in his tenure at Penn, . but [we are] extremely proud to be launching him on a presidency."

Also announced at the meeting:

n Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli presented a financial status report that detailed the University's growth. Total net assets have increased by about $411 million to $7.7 billion since June. Carnaroli attributed this growth to, among other things, "strong health-system performance [and] strong endowment performance."

Trustee John Clark announced five initiatives - which will cost some $72 million - that were approved by the trustees.

These initiatives include $34.5 million to initiate phase II of the high-rise renovations. These renovations will target Harnwell College House and parts of Harrison College House. Renovations will include the replacement of flooring, along with upgrades to lighting, plumbing and electrical infrastructure.

$15 million was authorized to renovate the Nursing Education Building.

$14.4 million was authorized to expand electrophysiology services at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

$6 million was appropriated to build a radiation oncology center on the hospital at the Chestnut Hill campus.

$2.15 million was approved to renovate the School of Arts and Sciences 1973 Chemistry Laboratory. The renovation - which will take place mainly on the third floor - is geared toward modernizing current facilities so that research into nanoscale science and engineering can be conducted.