It might only be one meet into its 2006-07 season, but the Penn women's swimming team already has a new school record.

In a 198-100 loss to Harvard Saturday, freshman Sara Coenen broke Megan Daney's 2003 record of 2:03.72 in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:01.35.

"After my [record-setting swim], I didn't even realize I broke the record until someone told me," Coenen said. "I was just excited to have beaten the Harvard girl since she was the defending Ivy League champion. I was very nervous before my swim, but I'm pretty psyched about the record."

Her coach was just as thrilled.

"Sara breaking the school record and winning both backstrokes was amazing," coach Mike Schnur said. "The girl she beat is the defending Ivy League champ. She set herself up for a great season."

In addition to Coenen's record-shattering performance, other freshman swimmers contributed to the team.

"They had some nerves, but they rose to the challenge," Schnur said. "The future bodes well for this class."

Specifically, freshman Lauren Brandes stood out, winning the 100-yard freestyle by just one-tenth of a second (52.63) and coming in second in the 50-yard freestyle (24.35).

"It was really exciting racing in a college meet," Brandes said. "I just wanted to contribute to the team, and my first-place finish definitely gave the team some extra points."

Despite the large margin of defeat, Schnur was not worried, since the Crimson went undefeated last year.

"I'm glad we swam against Harvard today," Schnur said. "For [our team] to compete against Harvard gives them confidence, since the rest of the teams aren't as good as they are."

Also, regardless of the result of the meet, the team is on pace to accomplish its goal of third place in the Ivies behind powerhouses Harvard and Princeton.

"I think we're right on track," Schnur said. "Almost all upperclassmen are better and farther ahead than they were at this point last year."

The swimmers also see the potential for later in the year.

"We had some great swims at this meet, and it is still really early," senior co-captain Cammie Villarreal said. "As the season progresses, we can only improve, which is an exciting prospect. I think that we will be a hard team to contend with this season."