u70972kn
Author Christine Whelan says that while women with advanced degrees used to be less likely to marry, now they just tie the knot later

Swans may live the first third of their lives alone, but when these birds find a partner, they stay together for life.

The same is true of SWANS - Strong Women Achievers, No Spouse - Christine Whelan, author of Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women, said yesterday in a talk held for about 40 at the Penn Bookstore.

Contrary to popular belief, Whelan said, high-achieving women are no longer less likely to eventually marry.

Statistics from the 1980 census indicate that women with advanced degrees used to be less likely to marry than their less-educated counterparts.

Now, high-achieving women are simply more likely to marry later.

And once married, Whelan added, high-achieving women are up to 50 percent less likely to divorce than women in general.

In her book, Whelan, who is engaged, defines a high-achieving woman as a woman who either holds an advanced degree or is in the top 10 percent of wage earners for her age group.

"The good news in my book is that there is no success penalty anymore," Whelan said. "Starting at age 30, high-achieving women are actually more likely to get married."

Changing cultural attitudes and customs have perpetuated this shift, Whelan said. College is no longer considered a time to find a mate, she said, and 25- to 29-year-old women are more focused on their educations and careers than on finding a spouse.

In addition, Whelan said, young men and women have grown up around high-achieving women who have successfully balanced having both a career and family life.

For example, Whelan's own mother earned her doctorate at Harvard University and has written 27 books.

And Whelan said that three-quarters of high-achieving men think that a woman's career or educational success make her more desirable as a wife.

"Be proud of your accomplishments," Whelan advised. "Don't downplay your success."

Audience member Amy MacBeath, a College and Wharton sophomore, said she would keep Whelan's message in mind as she pursues educational and personal goals.

"As I go along, I'll have to figure out what balance I want and how to go about achieving it," she said.