uh87541r
The Delaware riverfront is about to undergo extensive development. A team from Penn Design is playing a major role in the effort.

Parts of the Delaware riverfront are "the densest, most historic, least planned" areas in Philadelphia, Harris Steinberg says.

Now, his group at Penn has a shot at making them better.

Steinberg is director of Penn Praxis, an arm of the School of Design, which is set to play a big role in developing the riverfront.

Penn Praxis has been asked to lead the process of designing and implementing a vision for the waterfront by Philadelphia Mayor John Street.

In sculpting the plans, Penn Praxis will work closely with both the Philadelphia City Planning Commission and the public. Fifteen community groups will be represented on an advisory committee for the design process, along with others involved in the planning.

The advisory group is working to solicit private funding for the design project, and it's not known how the city will fund the actual construction.

Steinberg said the desire to develop the riverfront - from Oregon to Allegheny avenues - stems partially from the fear that condominium and casino construction will make the land inaccessible to the public.

As planning begins, the advisory group will soon meet to discuss options and will then hold a series of public lectures to keep area residents engaged in the process, Steinberg said.

He added that the Penn Praxis-led design team will begin to piece together a vision by February, which will be unveiled at a large public exposition around Labor Day of next year.

Gary Hack, dean of the School of Design and chairman of Penn Praxis, said he hopes the team will develop an "inspiring, next generation plan."

He added that Philadelphia is "way behind other cities in planning for waterfront resources."

A spokesman for Neighbors Allied for the Best Riverfront , one of the civic groups that will be represented on the advisory committee, said that involving the waterfront neighborhood in the planning process is central to their mission.

"I think this is an incredible step in the right direction," spokesman Jeremy Beaudry said.

He added an initiative of this sort is "long overdue."

Those interested in further exploring the issue can participate in walks along the Delaware River that are designed to let the public gauge the condition of the site and what it may need done to it. The first walk will take place tomorrow.