84aobm67
Freshman forward Michelle Drugan fights through a Rice defender in the Quakers' 0-0 two-overtime draw.

The Penn women's soccer team hasn't exactly been afforded the chance to ease into its schedule after a short preseason. Tonight, the Quakers host Hofstra just four days after battling Rice - a team which also made the NCAA Tournament last year - to a scoreless draw.

Penn hopes to prove that issues like fatigue that plagued it in the previous game were isolated incidents.

The Quakers' fitness may not have been where coach Darren Ambrose would like, but he isn't making any excuses.

"We know we need to be a little more efficient, a little more effective," Ambrose said. "We're lacking the last part to convert goals. Going into tomorrow night, we're going to attack well as a team."

After a handful of missed opportunities against Rice, a precise and more unified offensive effort may be just what Penn needs, especially against a defensive-minded Hofstra team.

While Rhodes Field would be the perfect venue for the Quakers to notch the University's first goal - in any sport - of the fall season, it likely won't be easy.

"I think we're strong and our forwards work hard . but our main foundation is our defense," said Hofstra coach Simon Riddiough. "Everything from then on goes from there."

Because the Quakers' veterans anchor their backline, Ambrose will likely be employing a similar strategy. Penn's young forwards may still be adjusting to the college game and finding their comfort zones on the field.

"We have the utmost respect for Hofstra," Ambrose said. "We need to stay within our own system."

For now, it is unclear whether this system will remain the same as it has been in the preseason and in the season opener.

Ambrose said that there might be a possibility of a minor lineup shuffle, but that this is mostly due to the team's depth and not any specific shortcoming.

But if the Quakers truly want to present some problems for the Pride, it may require getting under their skin a little bit.

If the Red and Blue play with the same aggressiveness that it did on Monday against Rice, when it accrued two yellow cards, it might just improve its chances.

"If we don't compete physically, it's going to be tough to win," Riddiough said.

Even at this early stage in the season, a victory on Friday would provide a huge lift for Penn, as it could set the team up for a home sweep in the weekend's Penn Invitational. The Quakers will take on Richmond Sunday, and their arch-rival will be there to witness it.

Princeton will participate in the invitational as well, but will wait until later in the season to square off against the Red and Blue.

Even so, this weekend is sure to be a significant one for the Quakers, who will be trying to build on the near-success that they experienced in their game against Rice earlier this week.

"We've got some ability," Ambrose said. "If we get a result or two this weekend, now you can talk about momentum."