After a disappointing 5-22 season, the Penn women's basketball team could be getting some big help from the Big East.

This much needed boost comes in the form of sophomore guard Sarah Bucar, who recently traded in the Gold and Blue for the Red and Blue when she decided to transfer from West Virginia to Penn starting this September.

As a freshman, Bucar played in 31 games and started one, while averaging 14.1 minutes per contest as the back-up point guard for the Mountaineers' Ashley Powell. WVU went 15-16 overall, but made a surprise run in the Big East Tournament and were a win over UConn away from making the NCAA Tournament.

According to Penn coach Patrick Knapp, a lack of playing time was one of the factors that led to Bucar's decision to transfer.

"She left the team on very good terms," Knapp said. "She just wanted more playing time and more of an academic challenge, and I think Penn can definitely give her both of those things."

Mountaineers' head coach Mike Carey declined to comment on the situation.

Perhaps just as important in influencing Bucar's decision was her history with Knapp in his days as head coach at Georgetown.

In her senior year of high school, the 5-5 guard out of Pittsburgh was recruited by Knapp and even made a verbal agreement to play for the Hoyas.

However, when it became clear that Knapp would leave Georgetown to accept the coaching job for the Quakers, Bucar backed out of the agreement and decided to attend West Virginia instead.

When she started to look in to transferring, Penn might have seemed like a natural choice, given Knapp's presence and the likelihood of increased playing time.

Bucar has the potential to contribute some much-needed scoring to the Quakers' backcourt, which struggled at times last year to contribute to the team's offense.

And most of that production came from senior guard Joey Rhoads, who accounted for nearly one-quarter of the team's points per game last season.

Although Bucar will be required to sit out the 2006-07 season due to NCAA eligibility rules, she will be allowed to practice with the team. And when she is eligible, her contribution might come just in time, as Rhoads -- who ran the point all of last year -- will graduate in 2007.

Her absence will leave a sizeable role that will need to be filled, and Bucar will certainly be in the mix as Knapp decides on a replacement.

"Sarah will be competing for the starting point guard position," Knapp said. "I think she has the potential to become the best player on the team, and the best point guard in the Ivy League."

Other players that will be considered will be sophomores Kim Franklin, Anca Popovici and Kelly Scott.

Scott started in 13 games last season and averaged 4.5 points per contest, while Franklin started 10 games.

Popovici started twice last season and came off the bench to replace Rhoads at times, averaging 9.9 minutes on the floor.

Although the addition of Bucar is sure to change the dynamic of the Quakers, Knapp does not think that the team will have a difficult time adjusting to the transfer's presence.

"I think she will fit in great with the team," Knapp said. "I think she is a great girl, she's hard working, and she wants to win."

And after a sub-.500 season where wins were extremely hard to come by for the Quakers, anything that could help the team have a chance at another Ivy League title would certainly be a welcome addition.