The latest edition of track and field's marquee event got under way in earnest Thursday morning at Franklin Field, and it did not take long to start awarding medals. Miami's Dominique Darden took top honors in the college women's 400-meter hurdles. Darden has been a standout all four years she has run for the Hurricanes, collecting 10 All-America honors, the most by any Miami woman. In a thrilling finish, Villanova's women won the college distance medly relay. Penn finished fifth in the race, to the delight of coach Gwen Harris and the Quakers runners (see below for articles on the DMR and Penn's other races). Elsewhere, the South Carolina women will have the chance to defend their 4x100 relay title from a year ago, qualifying with the fifth best time in this afternoon's heats. Texas posted the best time on the track in the 4x100 at 43:84. The top eight from today will compete in the Championship of America Friday afternoon. In the high school girls 4x100, Holmwood Technical of Jamaica finished its heat with a time of 45:14, which would have been good enough to qualify for the college championship. Five of the eight qualifiers in the 4x100 are from Jamaica, while the best U.S. time came from Bethel of Virginia. Holmwood also cleaned up in the 4x400 with a screaming 3:36.09, the third fastest time ever at the relays. Four of the eight qualifiers hail from Jamaica. Eleanor Roosevelt of Maryland was the top U.S. team.