Staying safe during spring break doesn't require great effort or stress; all it takes is a bit of preparation and following a few general principles.

Some tips to keep in mind and a few precautions to take in preparing for vacations:

n The U.S. State Department advises that travelers leave photo copies of itineraries, passport information and visas with family and friends at home. Students should also have a photocopy of their passport with them at all times.

n Don't carry around passports or large amounts of money.

"We usually tell people to use the safety boxes at their [lodgings]," says Karim Kuzbari, co-owner of Sun Splash Tours, which offers packaged trips over spring break.

"Take only the spending money you need."

ATMs are common in many countries in the Caribbean and Central America, Kuzbari said, so students can take out cash during their trips.

n Make sure to read the consulate information sheets posted on the U.S. State Department's Web site: travel.state.gov/travel. These provide information about entry requirements and travel warnings as well as the address and contact number of the U.S. embassy for each country.

Students headed to Europe might find it more useful to check the United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office Web site, fco.gov.uk, for travel warnings.

"They're more specific [lists of dangerous countries]," says Development Manager of Travel Insurance Services Logan Happel.

n Avoid drugs and excessive drinking. Foreign governments have their own laws regarding the possession or distribution of drugs, which may be more harsh than American laws.

American students are subject to foreign laws when abroad, and the U.S. embassies have no official power within foreign legal systems.

n Students should find out whether they have an emergency assistance provider. Credit cards or parents' businesses are often linked to organizations that will provide emergency assistance to travelers abroad.

n Travelers may also purchase travel insurance that provides emergency assistance. Travel insurance rates are often lower for students because they are less likely to need medical assistance than older travelers, Happel said.

"For student's it's 2 to 3 percent of the trip cost, while seniors may pay up to 20 percent," he added.