[Hannah Lau/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Panelists discuss University attempts to improve public schools. The event was held as part of Penn's annual Education Week.

Though Penn is a private institution, some feel it should play a greater role in public education.

This was the topic of discussion in last night's panel, "The Future of Public Education and Universities," sponsored by the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education.

During the event -- a part of SCUE's Education Week -- faculty and undergraduate students gathered in Houston Hall to discuss the challenges facing public education and what the University can do to help.

One of four panelists, Penn's Center for Community Partnerships Director Ira Harkavy cited a disparity between urban and suburban schools as one of the greatest problems in public education today.

"Savage inequalities keep growing exponentially," Harkavy said. He added that these inequalities have been 400 years in the making, dating back to America's earliest days.

Harkavy praised current community outreach measures such as academically-based community service courses and Penn's work with with West Philadelphia's Sayre High School.

However, Harkavy called for even greater engagement between the University and West Philadelphia public schools.

"All the good work Penn does, we have about 90 percent to go," he said.

Education professor and panelist Karen Clark recalled her own experiences in community service as an undergraduate at Penn.

At a student government conference in Ohio in the 1960s, Clark met civil-rights leader Stokely Carmichael, who she said inspired her sense of social responsibility. Upon returning to Penn she felt compelled to participate in what were some of the first service-learning projects.

Dana Prince, who works at the Center for Community Partnerships and is pursuing a master's degree in public health, also participated in the panel. Prince was impressed by her fellow panelists and the students who attended the discussion.

"It's always good when students take an active interest outside the University bubble," Prince said.

SCUE Chairman and Engineering sophomore Gabe Kopin was pleased with the event.

"Personally, I heard a lot of information that we'll try to weave in on our own work at SCUE," Kopin said.