In a nationwide competition, students are trying to create the best marketing strategy for Honda's new car.

A Wharton marketing class this semester is running a Philadelphia-based advertising campaign for Honda Motor Company to promote the Fit -- a small sport utility vehicle -- on campus and in Center City.

Marketing professor Patti Williams -- who teaches Marketing 235 -- got her class involved in the Honda Fit Marketing Challenge, a nationwide project to get students involved in a real-world campaign.

Students in the course are working to promote the new vehicle -- which a Honda spokesman said was targeted at the 18-to-34 age group -- in the most creative ways they can.

The project's purpose "is to give my students a chance to put together a real ... campaign for a real client and see the real challenges involved," Williams said.

Williams decided to get involved in the project -- which is sponsored by Honda itself and EdVenture Partners, an organization that pairs college courses with businesses -- after EdVenture approached her.

"It should be pretty fun. It's this car that isn't out yet ... and we have the opportunity to have it on campus," said College senior Michael Karam, who is participating in the project.

At the end of the semester the top three teams from around the country will go to Honda's national headquarters in California and present their projects to company executives.

Each year, over 200 colleges participate in similar campaigns.

This is Penn's second such project. Several years ago, the University did a similar marketing program with auto-maker General Motors.

These programs are "great for students because they get real hands-on experience," said Tony Sgro, EdVenture's CEO.

EdVenture Partners has similar programs with other companies, such as Citibank and People Magazine.

Penn is one of 18 schools nationwide chosen to participate in the Honda Fit Marketing Challenge.

"It's a huge win-win" for Honda and the students, Senior Manager of Marketing for American Honda Tom Peyton said.

Using college students to market a car aimed at a young demographic was an added bonus, Peyton said.

"It is always good to go to the experts in the market ... to tell us how they perceive the car and how they think we should market the car," Peyton said.

Students started the semester by conducting market research surveys of hundreds of Penn students to get information about their target audiences.

They have also started to design advertisements and will soon be making a presentation to representatives from Honda and EdVenture Partners.

Later this semester, they plan on bringing to campus one of only five existing Honda Fits.

Unlike other marketing competitions sponsored by companies, in the Honda Fit program, "the difference is that [the students] are not just proposing things, they're implementing things," Williams said. "I've been really impressed so far with their enthusiasm and commitment. They're taking it very seriously and doing interesting things."