[Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

During the 2003-04 Ivy record-setting season, Penn football offensive coordinator Andy Coen contemplated leaving the Quakers to pursue a head coaching position.

"I would like to get back to coaching at the I-A level and the challenge of being a head coach," Coen said in an interview two years ago.

But Coen did not leave after the Quakers ran through the Ivy League undefeated, scoring over 40 points per game while capturing back-to-back Ivy titles.

Instead, it was after two additional years -- during which the Quakers failed to win the Ivy crown -- that the Lehigh position finally opened up and Coen was able to make the jump to head coach.

From his new office in Bethlehem, Pa., Coen expressed his elation at taking over the program where he first made a name for himself before coming to Penn.

"Lehigh provided me with a tremendous opportunity, and I'm so thankful for it," Coen said. "This was always part of my aspirations and experience as offensive coordinator."

Coen's interview process and subsequent hiring proceeded rather swiftly after former Lehigh coach Pete Lembo left to take over the job at Elon University on Dec. 18.

Coen interviewed for the position four days later and was informed of the decision two days after the new year.

"It was a very thorough process," Coen said. "I'm very flattered that they took me because [Lehigh Athletic Director] Joe Sterrett was able to interview nine candidates."

Coen's stellar resume at both Penn and Lehigh could have been why Lehigh responded so quickly after the initial interview. He did not even interview at any other schools with coaching vacancies.

"Andy is the kind of person who will genuinely relate to people in and around the program," Sterrett said. "He comes highly regarded by a number of other coaches."

Because of the swift process, however, Coen was forced to leave the Quakers without formally saying goodbye to his team.

"I regret that I wasn't able to sit down with the players who I had coached for years and tell them I was leaving," Coen said. "This all happened really fast."

Most of the Quakers were away on break and did not directly receive any information about Coen's departure.

"It was very surprising because we just find it out on the [Penn Athletics] Web site. We didn't hear it from him," junior wide receiver Matt Carre said. "We had been hearing rumors, people speculating this and that, but we didn't feel this was when he would go."

Coen's hands-on approach gave him control of the entire offense during practices, making him a tough person to lose on the Franklin Field sidelines.

"Most of the players viewed him as our best coach," Carre said. "He commanded a lot of respect because of his great success here."

Even if the Quakers were not surprised that a coach of Coen's status would eventually leave, the veterans expressed mixed emotions over the idea of playing for a new offensive coordinator.

"I was kind of upset about it because it turns me, a three-year veteran, into a rookie again," Carre said. "We might have to learn a whole new system after playing for my entire career for coach Coen."

Nevertheless, Coen said he received an outpouring of support from the Penn community after he officially announced his decision to leave.

"I'm flattered that Penn people have given me so many e-mails and wished me success at my new position," Coen said.

Coen's experience as a recruiter for the Quakers should serve him well in the Patriot League, a conference which, like the Ivy League, does not offer football scholarships.

"Recruiting-wise, I benefited from coaching at Ivy League schools," Coen said. "We are expanding our recruiting base [at Lehigh] because we are improving our academic standards year after year."

As for the Penn program, Coen said he is certain the Quakers can reverse their losing trend from the end of last season and contend for the Ivy title as early as next year.

"We've recruited a lot of strong players, even some I recruited before I left," Coen said. "It's all about the kids, and I've worked with the best at both Penn and Lehigh."

The question is: Will Coen look to schedule a game against a Quakers squad with which he is already very familiar?

"That is out of my hands," Coen said. "I hope when it happens, though, I will be on the right side, like I have been for the past two times.

"I do know this: Penn will be playing against our hated rivals Lafayette next year. I hope they kick their asses."