Penn students took a break from their studying to spend yesterday evening with President Amy Gutmann at her annual Holiday Party.

Gutmann stood at the entrance to her house -- Eisenlohr Hall, located at 3812 Walnut St. -- greeting her guests, who were then led to a heated backyard tent. Both house and tent were decorated with a holiday theme. Tables of desserts lined the tent, and a variety of drinks were served, including cider and punch.

Many were glad to see a more personal side of the president. However, with such a large crowd, some students felt there was not much opportunity to speak to Gutmann.

"It's cool to meet her. I wish ... you could actually talk to her," College sophomore Namita Thakker said.

Still, students seemed to be enjoying themselves as they filled up on desserts, and many appreciated Gutmann's effort to mingle with the undergraduate student body.

"It's very nice," College freshman Andre Gregori said. "I think she's trying to reach out to the students, and I think she's doing [it] well."

Later in the evening, emergency personnel responded to a fire alarm that went off on the second floor of the president's house. It was not known what sparked the alarm.