[Claudia Trahan/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Junior Sam Peelle hits a backhand during his match against the Dips last night, his first start of the season.

In their last game before winter break, the men's squash team did not feel the need to go out with a bang against Franklin & Marshall. Coming away with a victory was enough.

Although the No. 6 Quakers recorded a decisive 8-1 victory over the No. 15 Diplomats (3-4) at Ringe Courts last night, they went in knowing they could leave something in the tank.

With four out of Penn's top nine from this weekend held out of the lineup, the objective was not to come in and dominate a small-time squash program.

By allowing junior Ben Ende and sophomore Spencer Kurn to rest, the Quakers (3-2, 2-1 Ivy) were without their No. 3 and No. 4 players, forcing everyone in a lower flight to move up at least two spots.

"I wouldn't say it was a tune-up match," coach Craig Thorpe-Clark said. "It does give us an opportunity to bring in some of the guys who are lower down in the lineup."

Among those competing at a higher flight than usual were freshman Bobby Dickey and senior Colby Emerson, who recorded two of Penn's eight shutouts from the No. 6 and 7 spots.

However, two of the more memorable performances of the night belonged to junior Sam Peelle and senior captain Gilly Lane.

Peelle won a tight 3-2 game from the No. 8 spot against the Dips' Shane Slater.

"After two-and-a-half years of honing my cheering skills outside the top nine, it feels great to be participating and finally winning a couple for the team," Peelle said. "I can't honestly say I'm used to the big crowds cheering me on, so it feels great to be able to win a close one with so many onlookers."

Lane, on the other hand, shut out his opponent, but the game was more closely-contested than the 3-0 final would suggest.

Emotions ran high during his match against No. 1 Rushabh Vora. After a few questionable interference and let calls, Lane began to show his intensity.

"I feel like during the match there's a lot of contact on the court," Lane said. "When calls don't go your way you can get a little rattled. You just try to keep your cool."

Although Lane may have wanted to win a little more definitively, the passion he showed on the court is something the Quakers will want to see from their team leader.

With a month-long rest ahead of them, the Red and Blue will have time to relax and prepare for the second half of the season. Although it was not perfect, the victory over the Dips will send them out on a good note.

"It's important to end the first half of the season with a win," Peelle said. "It definitely gives us confidence going into a long break."