Penn Fine Arts professor Terry Adkins has recently spoken out against a University of Mississippi decision that rejected his design for a civil rights memorial on its campus, -- but his protests have fallen on deaf ears.

Adkins learned in 2002 that a panel of experts selected his design for the memorial, but in early October Ole Miss Chancellor Robert Khayat informed him that his design was not "architecturally" viable and that the campus would instead feature a design by Mississippi architect Jim Eley.

Adkins recently publicized his opposition to the decision by publishing a letter in The Daily Mississippian and by personally sending a copy to Khayat.

"By ultimately rejecting my design, you have single-handedly committed a great disservice to the legacy of the civil rights movement and to the University of Mississippi's place within it," Adkins said in his letter. "You have violated [the] democratic process by dismissing the expert opinion of the selection panel. You have betrayed public promise."

Adkins received a reply from Khayat that thanked him for his comments and informed him that it was "time to end the conversation."

As a result, Adkins is not confident that his actions will have any effect.

"People on Ole Miss' campus have more or less resolved themselves that Emperor Khayat is going to do what he wants to do," Adkins said. "He has the campus in a state of fear about what the reprisals would be if anyone were to speak out."

Khayat said that the new design is the product of an "open process" involving meetings with interested parties, including student leaders.

Adkins, however, feels that the denial of his proposal has racial undertones.

"Here I am, a black artist, and a group of so-called powerful white men are arbitrarily deciding for another white man [Eley] to be the arbitrary interpreter of the civil rights movement," he said.

But Khayat said race was "never an issue in the conversation. It is unfair to even suggest it."

Adkins' original design sought to commemorate a seminal moment in civil rights history when, in October 1962, James Meredith entered the university as its first black student amid violence that resulted in two deaths.

Adkins' design included twin concrete archways, each containing glass doors with etched sayings such as "Teach in fear no more." On top of the archways, bronze bells hovered over the phrases "Freedom Forever" and "Justice Henceforth."

Eley's design calls for four columns and a small walkway. A surrounding wall will feature one panel, which commemorates Ole Miss' role in the integration of higher education. Another panel will bear inspirational quotes from prominent figures in the 1960s civil rights movement.

A life-sized statue of James Meredith walking toward the monument has been added based on student leaders' suggestions.

"They have taken my design, which was dynamic, and made it into nothing more than a large mausoleum," Adkins said.

Ole Miss senior Twaun Samuel, who organized a meeting in October to answer student questions about Khayat's decision, said that some students are still loyal to the old design. He added, however, that most students simply want to see a monument erected and are therefore working with administrators to make that possible.

As for Meredith, he preferred to stay out of the controversy.

"I've read some articles about [the memorial] in the paper, but it's not my decision and not my business," he said.