Mixto is the sleek Center City baby brother of the North Philly establishment Tierra Colombiana. While its big brother is defined by strictly traditional Colombian and Cuban dishes, Mixto creates a fusion of all Latin flavors, forming a veritable "mix" in both atmosphere and taste.

As our smiling waiter led us to our table, we could not help but take note of the beautiful decor of darkly stained wood accented with bare brick and dynamic lighting to create a strikingly attractive interior. Signs posted for breakfast and lunch meals painted an image of distinct atmospheres throughout the day. One could easily envision lunch crowds chatting on the outdoor patio or people eating a Latin style breakfast.

Our meal began with two pairs of empanadas, one beef and one chicken. Each was served with a spicy homemade salsa. Both were perfectly cooked, with a crisp shell and a soft moist filling, and had the perfect appetizer-effect of being satisfying, but not completely filling.

The waiter also urged us to taste the Mixto Mojito, humbly stating that many think it is the "best in town." I skeptically sipped at the drink -- a blend of rum, juice and mint -- and was amazed. The sweet (yet not overpowering) and tangy (yet not overwhelming) flavor of the drink was delicious and refreshing.

In addition to this finely crafted drink, Mixto has added two other variations of the mojito to its drink selection, making the rum drink available in both tropical and berry flavors. In the next month, four more flavors are to be introduced, each with a unique twist on the original classic.

We continued the meal with the main course. I had montuno lechon ($15), a Cuban pork "feast" served with rice and beans, fried plantains, steamed yucca, a Cuban tamale and a perfectly ripe avocado. To call the portion generous would be a major understatement.

Though simply presented, the chef traded no quality for quantity as every item on the plate was fresh, perfectly cooked and flavorful. Meanwhile, my guest dug into his equally heaping plate of arroz con pollo ($14) which was delicious as well. It was a mound of spiced chicken served on top of rice with fried plantains flanking one end for good measure. The food's quality resounded bite after bite with the seasonings of the chicken leaving an exquisite Latin taste behind.

Unhindered by full stomachs, we forged onto dessert consisting of a cake called Tres Leches. The dish, literally meaning three milks, is a dense milk-soaked cake with a creamy frosting, soaked in a pool of creamy sauce.

This rich indulgence was incredible. One could not help but order Columbian coffee with such a treat; the deep, well-ground blend had a powerful texture and was also served at exactly the right temperature.

No fan of dessert could ask for more.