Students at Penn have a voice when it comes to facilitating change and development within the University. The six branches of student government provide plenty of opportunities for anyone who wants to get involved in improving the student experience at Penn.

Undergraduate Assembly Chairwoman Rachel Fersh urged incoming freshmen to get involved with student government.

"Don't be afraid to get involved," Fersh said. "Find things that you're passionate about. There's no reason not to."

Though the six branches each perform their own duties, they all work together and with the University in order to enhance student life.

Undergraduate Assembly: The UA is comprised of 33 undergraduates elected by their respective schools, the UA works closely with University administrators to implement its initiatives. The UA meets every Sunday evening to discuss proposals from group members and from the entire undergraduate community.

Class Boards: A primary goal of the class boards is to encourage school spirit and unity throughout campus. Board members, elected by their respective classes, organize several social events throughout the academic year. They also assist other branches of student government in planning large-scale events.

Nominations and Elections Committee: The NEC is responsible for the organization of all student government elections as well as the nomination of representatives for various University committees.

Students involved with this branch of government have the opportunity to become intimately involved with the election process.

Student Activities Council: SAC recognizes, supervises and funds all undergraduate extracurricular activities at Penn. As the University's largest student government branch, SAC oversees upwards of 200 groups with focuses ranging from performing arts to community service.

Student Committee on Undergraduate Education: The main objective of SCUE is to work on the University's academic side. The oldest branch of student government on campus, SCUE aims to expand academic opportunities and advising, making it a key organization for students desiring a louder voice in shaping their academic experiences.

Social Planning and Events Committee: SPEC acts to organize social and cultural events for the University community. Last semester, SPEC brought Martin Sheen to address the community and Sonic Youth to perform at the annual Spring Fling concert. Past SPEC speakers include Benjamin Netanyahu, Conan O'Brien and Billy Joel.

The NEC, SCUE and SPEC each select their members through an internal nominations process each semester.

SAC members are designated by their specific activity group to represent their organization at SAC meetings.

In October, the Class of 2009 will elect its class board officers and committee representatives, as well as its UA members.

A student government interest session run by the NEC will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 7 at 9 p.m.