[Alex Small/The Daily Pennsylvanian] University President Amy Gutmann addresses the Class of 2009 during last night's Convocation ceremony.

For the first time since arriving on campus a week ago, members of the Class of 2009 are officially freshmen.

Representing 74 countries and all 50 states, Penn's newest class -- along with all transfer students -- celebrated the beginning of their Penn careers on College Green.

"We welcome you, and we're proud of you," Dean of Admissions Lee Stetson said before introducing University President Amy Gutmann at the opening ceremonies known as Convocation.

"Penn is sizzling, and I'm not talking about the weather," Gutmann said.

The Class of 2009 is a record-breaking class that showed up to Convocation in record numbers, she said.

With several references to popular culture -- including the alternative band Green Day, The Lord of the Rings and Benjamin Franklin's autobiography -- she eventually compared the freshman experience to a road trip.

"Like every memorable journey, yours will be filled with tests and trials ... and many revelations."

She encouraged students to look beyond their grade point averages for more rewarding learning experiences.

"Instead of obsessing about grades, talk to your professors as mentors," she said.

She also urged freshmen to join her in aiding victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Convocation symbols - Robes: Patterns on the robes and hoods indicate the school at which professors teach and the highest degree they have attained. - President's badge: Displayed on occasions of ceremony, it signifies the chief executive's authority. The front depicts the University seal, and the reverse shows the "orrery seal," which was designed by a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The badge is suspended on a chain of silver links, a gift of former Trustee Thomas Sovereign Gates in 1981. - Mace: Symbol of authority, carried at the head of the academic procession by the University secretary. It is adorned with numerous seals and a thistle symbolizing the early ties of the University with Scotland.

"Each of you has the power and the drive to change the world for the better," she said.

Provost Ron Daniels, speaking at his first Convocation, said he wasn't far removed from the incoming Penn students.

"We will be learning about Penn together. ... I'm still trying to figure out what food truck to go to for the best lunch," he said.

He encouraged students to take advantage of Penn's variety.

"You will experience the benefits of diverse experience and perspective," Daniels said. "Create an atmosphere free of moats and rich in bridges. ... I can't wait to see the bridges you build."

Most of the students in attendance seemed to appreciate the motivational message provided by the speakers, as well as the free desserts.

"I really liked the speeches. ... [Convocation] was so spirited," Engineering freshman Fei Ren said.

"Penn did a good job of celebrating itself," College freshman Michael Kettler said.

Penn alumni President Paul Williams welcomed freshmen to Penn's "extended family."

"Look for those moments when ... work might resemble play. ... Seize them and play even harder," he said.