[Shannon Jensen/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Gina Humphreis sells her family farm's produce at the Urban Girl's Produce stand at the Clark Park Farmers' Market, located at 43rd and Baltimore streets, every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

In the precious moments before dusk settles, Philadelphia native Joe Walker sits reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People on a bench in West Philadelphia's nine-acre Clark Park.

After seemingly endless rows of row houses, stumbling upon Clark Park at 43rd Street and Baltimore Avenue is like discovering an oasis. Suddenly, there are parents with strollers, couples lying in the grass, a silent-performance artist moving to music and a woman reading a book next to her dog.

All are engaged in their own independent activities, but they are united by their awareness and appreciation of one single truth: Here in Clark Park, the sounds of the city have receded, leaving nothing but an air of peace.

"Forget Rittenhouse Square," Philadelphia native Frank Walsh said. "This place is peaceful, nice. You can crack open a beer and no one bothers you. It's great for free thinkers and ex-hippies like myself."

Walsh, who grew up within blocks of the park, has always been loyal to the neighborhood around Clark Park, which he visits several times each week.

"I've been coming to this park since I was a kid. I even stayed here when I went to St. Joseph's University" in the '70s, Walsh said. "You never know what you are going to see here."

Walker carries a similar tenderness for the park. He is especially fond of the historic statues, which include a large stone monument from the Gettysburg battlefield and the only life-size statue of author Charles Dickens in the world.

"A lot of people would say it's very precious," Walker said. "It's the idea of open space [and] free access to all."

Walker, who lives within walking distance of the park, goes there to read and clear his mind.

"It's very peaceful," he said. "People leave you alone."

A volunteer group called Friends of Clark Park has worked since 1973 to improve the quality of the park through cleaning, construction projects and planting days.

Clark Park is home to many community events, including outdoor movies, farmers markets on Thursdays and Saturdays, sporting events and cultural festivals.

This Saturday is the Clark Park Music and Arts Festival, which boasts musicians, artists, craftsmen and chefs for the all-day event.