[Joe Devlin/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Sophomore pitcher Lindsey Permar delivers a pitch with the bases loaded in game 1 against Villanova. Permar would give up a grand slam that inning.

It was a home run derby yesterday at Warren Field, with six hit beyond the fence. Unfortunately for the Quakers, they only hit one of them, as Villanova cruised to a sweep -- 7-2 and 9-0 -- over the Penn softball team.

The Wildcats (26-16, 2-4 Big East) made their intentions clear very early, as leadoff hitter Lisa Krueger hit their first home run in the first inning of game 1 on a full count.

Villanova dominated on the mound as well, allowing just four hits in game 1, and only one hit in game 2.

"Villanova definitely pitched a good game," junior captain Meghan Cowen said. "We were capable of hitting but we just didn't."

The Wildcats pitching performance was complemented by impressive hitting that led to three game 1 home runs, including a grand slam in the top of the fifth.

The Quakers (12-17, 2-4 Ivy) answered in the bottom of the fifth, however, as sophomore Kaelin Ainley hit a solo home run with two outs to make the score 6-1.

The home run "felt pretty good," Ainley said. "I was just doing what I could to help out the team."

With one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth, Cowen drove in the second run by taking a pitch to the head. She was all right, and sophomore Erin Boyle scored on the play.

With the tying run at the plate, sophomore catcher Brandi King bounced into a 5-2-3 double play, ending the threat, and the Wildcats went on to the 7-2 win.

Sophomore Lindsey Permar pitched the first four innings of the game, giving up seven runs on seven hits and a walk. She was relieved by sophomore Olivia Mauro, who also struggled, giving up four hits in one inning. Senior pitcher Kara Eyre finished up for the Quakers, giving up one hit.

"Our pitchers struggled today," senior captain Kim Le said. "Villanova is an excellent hitting team. Make a mistake and they'll punish you."

The Quakers fared no better in game 2 of the doubleheader, as Villanova's hitting and pitching momentum continued.

Penn's hurlers continued to struggle against a dangerous Wildcats offense. Eyre pitched the first two innings for the Quakers, giving up three runs, four hits and a walk.

Freshman Rachel Mowry pitched one inning, allowing five runs on five hits and two walks.

Mauro came back to pitch the last inning for the Quakers, giving up one more run and three hits while walking one.

The Quakers' hitting also continued to suffer, as freshman Annie Kinsey got the one and only hit of the game.

"Everyone was doing what they could," Ainley said. "But it just wasn't enough today."

After five innings, the Wildcats completed the sweep by shutting out the Quakers, 9-0.

Despite the shaky outing, Cowen does not think the losses will affect the team's performance in its two Ivy League games this weekend.

"We just came out a little lazy," Cowen said. "It's nothing that can't be changed for the weekend. It was just a bad fluke."

The Quakers will look to improve on their 2-4 Ivy League record. They play their next two games at home this weekend against Dartmouth (6-12-1, 3-1) and Harvard (10-12, 3-1), who are tied for second in the conference.