[Mark Makela/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Junior third baseman Meghan Cowen starts her swing in a March 26 game against Rider. Cowen delivered two of Penn's six hits in two games yesterday.

After coming within one win of equaling their win total of last season, the Penn softball team now finds itself in a three-game slump after being swept by Princeton in a rescheduled doubleheader yesterday.

The two losses marked the opening of the team's Ivy League season -- and despite their best efforts -- they were shut out in both games, 4-0 and 3-0.

A dominant Princeton pitching staff proved to be the major obstacle for Penn (9-13, 0-2 Ivy) as the Quakers' hitting momentum was slowed dramatically.

"We struggled and had a lot more strikeouts than we ordinarily do," coach Leslie Moore said. "We faced a very good team today."

Princeton's Erin Snyder -- who has thrown a perfect game already this season -- pitched the first shutout, holding the Quakers to just two hits while throwing 11 strikeouts. Freshman Christina Khosravi and junior Jen Nichols were the only players to manage hits against Snyder, who boasts an 0.79 ERA.

"It was by far the best pitching we've seen all year," Moore said.

The pitching was not the only factor that led to the first Tigers victory, however, as timely hits were also a crucial component.

Snyder showed that her dominance went beyond the mound by hitting the Tigers' first home run of the game in the fourth inning. Snyder's teammate Calli Varner followed suit, hitting another home run for the Tigers (19-7, 2-0) in the sixth.

The loss wasted a solid pitching performance by sophomore Lindsey Permar, who threw a complete game four-hitter for the Quakers, allowing four hits and two earned runs.

The Quakers fared no better in the second game, as Tigers pitcher Kristen Schaus was another formidable challenge. Schaus scattered four hits and struck out 11.

Among the Quakers that did manage hits were sophomore Teresa Leyden and freshman Annie Kinsey, who had one hit each, as well as junior Meghan Cowen who had two hits.

Kinsey's hit was also accompanied by a strikeout -- the first she's had all season -- ending a 64 at-bat streak without a whiff.

Although freshman pitching ace Ann Ferracane pitched the second game, she was not able to suppress the Tigers' hitting either, allowing five hits, and three runs, all of them earned.

Missed opportunities also played a role in game 2, as Penn had a chance to pull ahead in the top of the sixth.

With Kinsey on first, pinch-runner Kim Le on third, one out and the game tied at zero, the Quakers failed to score. Khosravi's sacrifice got Kinsey over to second, but Jen Nichols popped out to end the threat.

In the bottom of the sixth, Princeton pulled away on the strength a three-run homer by Melissa Finley.

Despite the tough losses, Moore does not think that this performance is indicative of how the Quakers will perform against the rest of the Ivy League.

"Princeton is a very strong team," Moore said. "I don't think that any of the other Ivy League teams are in the same bracket as them. We still have a very good chance to go out there and win the rest of the Ivy League games."

The Quakers are next in action tomorrow at Temple.