[Ari Friedman/DP File Photo] Senior outfielder Kimberly Le watches a pitch go by in a game against Delaware during her sophomore year. Le is one of three captains trying to lead the Quakers back from a 10-31-1 season.

The players on the Penn softball team are in high spirits as they eagerly await to embark on their new season with a fresh and positive attitude.

This year's squad includes a group of talented freshmen that will no doubt compliment the 11 returning sophomores -- who all have a year of experience under their belts -- as well as tri-captains Kim Le, a senior, and juniors Meghan Cowen and Jen Nichols.

"We have a bit of a different team dynamic this year," Le said. "We have a particularly large sophomore class, and I look to them to really step up and play well this year. We also have some really talented freshmen that are going to be impact players."

The Quakers, who have not had a winning season since 1984, are coming off of a tough season. Last year they went 10-31-1, and only 1-13 in the Ivy League.

"Our talent level, without a doubt, is much, much higher than last year," coach Leslie King Moore said. "I think that we are going to make big strides."

The addition of two freshman pitchers should be an essential part of the team's success this year, according to Moore.

"We have a lot more depth in our pitching staff now," she said. "We have the ability to contain the opposition, and that's huge in our game. Pitching is everything in fast-pitch softball."

Returning sophomore pitcher Lindsey Permar is also expected to be an impact player this season after proving her abilities last year with several impressive performances, including breaking the school record for strikeouts in a season with 112, and ending the year with an earned run average of 2.74.

The Quakers' pitching staff is also bolstered by sophomore Olivia Mauro, who has also shown a good deal of improvement since last year.

After having been shutout in 15 of their 31 losses last season, Moore and the players agreed that this season marks a successful transformation in the Penn softball program.

"This season seems different from the other three that I've been in," Cowen said. "Overall, our team atmosphere is more positive than I've ever seen it, and the talent is definitely more than we've ever had. I definitely see this year being the turning point."

The relationships among the players on the team have also improved from last year. An overall feeling of unity is evident among the Quakers and is contributing towards the optimistic season outlook.

"The team is more of a team off the field too, which is a big difference from last year. There's definitely more unity," Cowen added.

Moore has big plans for the young team this season. Unfortunately, winter weather has prevented the squad from practicing outside, but with spring training in Orlando around the corner, the Quakers have high hopes for the upcoming season.

"Any improvement we can make in our league finish I think is very important," Moore said. "I would like to get to the place where we're playing .500 softball this year. I know that they are very capable of that."

The Quakers will spend spring break training in Orlando and play their first two games on March 6 against Lehigh and Fairfield.

"The culture of the team is very healthy, and with the talent that we have there is no reason why we shouldn't have a lot more success this season," Moore said. "I think we're going to surprise a lot of people."