[Faatima Qureshi/The Daily Pennsylvanian] The Walnut Street West branch of the Philadelphia Free Library, at 40th and Walnut streets, has won awards for being eco-friendly. It recaptures rainwater to flush toilets.

On a recent afternoon, the Walnut Street West Free Library was bustling with local residents. Patrons signed up to use the library's computers, students browsed the movie and CD collection and mothers read books to toddlers in the children's section.

During its first six months, the newest incarnation of the Walnut Street West branch has become the 10th busiest of the Free Library of Philadelphia system's 55 locations, according to branch supervisor Joseph Paradin.

"We've been maintaining that increase," Paradin said. "We haven't declined since August."

The Walnut Street West branch opened its current location on the corner of 40th and Walnut streets in October 2004 for the first time in eight years. The branch had closed in 1996 after the building's foundation was found to be structurally unsound.

The library had been housed temporarily across the street while the building underwent extensive, $3 million renovations.

The library has maintained its popularity since opening by providing some special services, including a self-checkout station, book sales every weekend and a space that welcomes patrons with large skylights and a myriad of colorful paintings.

"It's been very busy," librarian Ai Leng Tan said, adding that the computers are always the most popular amenity with patrons.

The branch was the first in the Philadelphia Free Library system to acquire the technology for its self-checkout system and is registered with the U.S. Green Building Council due to the use of recycled contact materials and environmentally safe paints in its most recent construction.

Despite the library's successes, Paradin said it has still faced some challenges in its first few months of operation.

The library is "still working out the kinks," he said, noting that the self-checkout system has occasional problems and that the environmentally friendly facilities do not always work as planned.

Paradin said water towers on the roof of the library collect rainwater to flush toilets, but the system had trouble functioning properly for awhile. Due to a design flaw, one of the skylights cracked, but it is scheduled to be repaired soon.

But "for a brand new building with a lot of renovations, it's been very, very smooth," Paradin said.

The branch has been great for West Philadelphia, Paradin said, and the location has been great for the library.

College sophomore Susan Strecker helps with the library's self-checkout system as part of her work-study job. She is one of four Penn students who have work-study jobs with the Walnut Street West branch.

Strecker enjoys her job because unlike libraries on Penn's campus, the Free Library offers "a lot more involvement with the public."

Strecker had worked within the Free Library system before her current job and also works with local students as part of the library's homework help program.

Facilities and Real Estate Services spokesman Tony Sorrentino said the University is still "researching and evaluating" what to do with the library's temporary space in the 3900 block of Walnut Street, which remains unoccupied and owned by the University.