[Mike Ellis/The Daily Pennsylvanian] College junior Emmanuel Ergas rides a unicycle up 37th Street in front of the Quadrangle. He is one of a handful unicyclists on campus.

On a typical afternoon, Locust Walk is filled with students walking, running and stumbling to class. Groups cluster together to chat, and bikes roll by here and there.

But every now and then, one of Penn's semi-famous unicyclers weaves his way through the crowd.

One prominent Penn unicycler is College freshman Joe Graff, who has been riding the single wheel for almost three years.

Graff has walked to class a grand total of one time the entire year. According to him, unicycling is faster and much more fun than walking.

College junior Emmanuel Ergas, a unicycler since January, rides to campus for practice, although he doesn't ride every day. He's taken a week and a half hiatus from unicycling because he twisted his ankle riding down a set of stairs. But that's not going to stop him.

"Once I get back on, I'm going to try to ride as much as before and do even more crazy things," he said.

Nursing freshman Amber Oberholzer is perhaps the only female unicycler known to Penn. She and Engineering freshman Mark Fickett learned to ride together this September.

Fickett said he occasionally rides his unicycle to class and always rides it on his way to his a cappella group or for longer distance trips, such as to the train station.

But to the three males, a unicycle is more than just a unique form of transportation. It's also a vehicle they use to perform impressive tricks.

All three know how to ride down stairs. Fickett said that he's jumped from the wall that lines Perelman Quadrangle down to the ground, and Graff said that his favorite unicycle pastime is riding on difficult mountain terrain.

Whether on their way to class or cascading down the stairs of Van Pelt, they've all received their fair share of attention.

"Sometimes you'll get the 'Hey buddy, you're missing a wheel on your bike,' and then there's the people who give you the encouraging 'That's hardcore!'" Ergas said.

Graff said he's been asked "shouldn't you be in the circus?"

Numerous onlookers have also asked them for permission to take a spin on their unicycles. Of course, the curious first-timers fall right off.

Aside from fun, Graff said that unicycles have their practical purposes, too. He added that they are a lot less expensive than bikes and much easier to maintain.

Also, Graff never has to worry about a stolen unicycle. Although he doesn't expect any theft, he has a plan.

He said that he'd chase after the thief, but "if [someone] can steal it in front of me and ride away faster than I can catch them, then they deserve to keep it."

Wharton senior Selim Aykut, who has seen a unicycler on Locust Walk before on his way to class, said that he thinks "it's kind of eccentric."

Engineering sophomore Jeff Benshelter has yet to spot a one. However, he said that unicycling on campus "is unique. ... It's a hard talent in itself, and to do it on a daily basis is interesting."

So what does it take to be a unicycler?

"It just takes perseverance," Graff said. "People think they don't have the balance for it, but no one does when they start." According to Graff, it just takes practice.

"I just recommend it to everyone," Ergas said. "All you need is the determination to be awesome."