The announcement of the United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan as the 2005 Commencement speaker has evoked concern from some students who say that they are uncomfortable about Annan's record of leadership and the U.N.'s role in policing the world.

College Republicans President Eric Rechtschaffen said the announcement elicited an "extremely negative reaction" from other Republican students as well as his close friends.

Rechtschaffen cited the U.N.'s opposition to American interests and the organization's perceived bias against Israel as the issues he considered most problematic.

"Given the [oil-for-food] scandal that seems to be consuming the U.N.," Rechtschaffen said, "why is it that the University chose [Annan] to be the Commencement speaker?"

Annan is serving his second term as the U.N.'s secretary-general, and will be awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree during the May 16 Commencement ceremony. He received the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize for his leadership of the U.N. and his influential diplomatic leadership in many conflicts worldwide.

Rechtschaffen said Israel activists on campus were upset about the choice, and some students may consider protesting or starting a petition.

During Annan's Commencement address at Harvard University last year, nearly 150 people turned out to protest against Annan's alleged inaction towards the humanitarian crisis that is occurring in the Sudan region.

"There are rumors that a petition is circulating," Rechtschaffen said, although he acknowledged that he had not actually seen an actual petition or talked to anyone who had signed it.

Rechtschaffen said the College Republicans have not yet made plans to protest the Commencement speech, and are still considering their options as a group.

"The College Republicans are strongly considering throwing the weight of our organization on this petition," he said, should a petition be created by fellow students.

Alex Chester, the President of the Pro-Israel Coalition, said he felt that the U.N., by design, was made up of nations who are anti-American, anti-Israel and anti-democracy.

However, he noted that his group does not plan on taking a stance on the issue.

"On a personal level, I'm not particularly impressed with Kofi Annan," the College senior said, mentioning the "incompetence" and "illegality" surrounding the U.N.'s oil-for-food program, and the implication of Annan's son as concerns.

From 1996 to 2003, the U.N.'s oil-for-food program permitted the former Iraqi government to spend certain oil revenues on goods that were considered humanitarian aid, such as food and medical supplies.

Saddam Hussein and other leaders allegedly corrupted the program with bribes and embezzlement, and the program was also accused by some countries of being mismanaged by the U.N.

Kofi Annan's son, Kojo Annan, has been blamed for misusing U.N. oil-for-food contracts, but both Kofi Annan and his son deny all offenses.

An independent investigation into the controversy surrounding the oil-for-food program is currently being conducted by former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker. He will disclose his findings on March 29.

Chester said he knows many students who would sign a formal petition against Annan, and expressed his concerns about the lack of students participation in the process of choosing the Penn Commencement speaker.

Associate Director of the Penn African Studies Center Paul Kaiser said Annan's presence is a great opportunity for campus-wide debate.

"It's a positive development that students are critically looking at what [Annan] brings to the table," Kaiser said. "He's brought a different perspective to the U.N."

Kasiser said the U.N. is a complex organization, which leads to decisions that are sometimes right, sometimes wrong, and not always in harmony with the best interests of the U.S.

"As long as the debate is productive ... I think that's a good thing," he said.

Political Science professor Avery Goldstein said Annan is a "very influential figure on the world stage," who can offer insight into the complicated political questions that face the U.N.

Goldstein said Annan may take advantage of the speech to explain why the U.N. needs to be reformed, and could offer crucial insights at a time when the U.N. now "runs the risk of becoming irrelevant."

Goldstein also noted that Annan's invitation to speak at Commencement is not necessarily an endorsement of the U.N. or Annan by the University or anyone involved in the selection process.

Annan addressed the United Nations on March 21 concerning his proposals to reform the U.N.

The proposals stemmed from the recommendations of an independent panel, and included changes that would expand the Security Council and redefine terrorism.

The U.N. body will not make any decisions concerning the proposals until their next meeting in September.

Penn American Civil Liberties Union President Michael Patterson hopes students and their families will use the Commencement speech "as an opportunity to listen to a different perspective."

"I think a lot of people pre-judged him," Patterson said.

Patterson said students should have a right to protest, but that both sides should be respectful to each other.