The Cinemagic 3 movie theater has, according to University officials, failed to pay its rent for more than several months and may be forced to vacate its theater venue on the 3900 block of Walnut Street.

"We've been in the process of having our attorneys talk to their attorneys, and that's the process we're in right now," Business Development Marketing Manager Anthony Sorrentino said. "The consequences are not any different than, say, you not paying your rent to your landlord."

Cinemagic's lease ends in 2005 and, according to Sorrentino, the management has not approached the University to rectify the situation.

"We've been patient and we've been tolerant... but with their lease coming up for expiration anyway, this becomes a time to revisit whether or not they are going to be able to be a rent-paying tenant in our commercial corridor," Sorrentino said.

The reputation of Cinemagic 3 as a run-down location is well-known among the Penn community.

"It's been a few years since I've seen a movie at Cinemagic," College senior Michelle Walther said. "I believe there were more seats covered in plastic bags than available to sit in. I'd rather wait until movies come out on video than go back there."

Cinemagic's demise may be due to the Nov. 2002 opening of the Bridge Cinema de Lux less than a block away. Since its opening, the Bridge has remained a popular choice for the movie-going Penn student.

Lamece Gouda, box office supervisor of the Bridge, estimated that "probably 50 percent" of the Bridge's patrons are Penn students. She said that students choose the Bridge because of its convenient location and upscale atmosphere.

Many off campus movie theaters, just minutes away via taxis and public transportation, are also popular destinations for Penn students. The Ritz theaters in Old City offer independent movies for a competitive price.

Jay Ayrton, director of operations for the Ritz Theater Group, said that the Ritz theaters have done quite well by choosing to show independent films rather than the typical Hollywood blockbuster.

"People prefer to have choices," Ayrton said. "They like to see movies that they can talk about, not just something to chew popcorn with."

A regular ticket at the Ritz costs up to $8.50, compared to the Bridge's $9.50 and Cinemagic's $8.00.

The Ritz offers a student price of $5.50, compared to Cinemagic's $7.00 student discount. The Bridge, which does not offer student discounts on Fridays and Saturdays, sells $7.50 tickets to students on weeknights.

Even with these various options, Philadelphia's cinematic offerings are lacking compared to those of other large cities, said Sharon Pinkenson, the executive director of the Greater Philadelphia Film Office.

Philadelphia is behind Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis-St. Paul in terms of number of movie screens.

"I think we need a lot more theaters. There are so many movies you don't get to see because there aren't enough screens," Pinkenson said. "We're not getting nearly the offerings they are getting, for example, in New York."

Pinkenson encouraged Penn students to get off campus and explore all the movie options Philadelphia has to offer.

"There's a lot more to life than the offerings on the acreage of the university," Pinkenson said. "To leave Penn after four years not having taken advantage [of the city] is to have wasted your education."