[Shane Clancy/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Wharton MBA student Hyunjung Lee uses the University's wireless network. Philadelphia Mayor John Street plans to cover the entire city with a Wi-Fi network, giving free access to anyone with a computer and wireless

It is not uncommon these days to see people in LOVE Park casually surfing the Internet on their laptops, thanks to Mayor John Street's recent initiative to make Philadelphia a completely wireless city.

Street hopes to expand this wireless service to the entire city. If the plan is successful, Philadelphia will become the first entirely wireless city in the nation.

The city has entered into a contract with Syndeo, a California- based communications software corporation, to manage the wireless network that is available in LOVE Park, Ben Franklin Parkway and other hot spots around town.

Instead of using the customary wired-broadband Internet service, the city is employing a Wi-Fi -- a Wireless Fidelity system.

Internet access may no longer be a concern for those who cannot afford it, as the initiative will provide free wireless Internet to all of Philadelphia's residents -- as long as they have a computer with Wi-Fi capability.

The Wireless Philadelphia Executive Committee, which is largely responsible for the city's plans, believes that becoming wireless is essential to remain competitive in the 21st century.

"We anticipate that wireless Philadelphia will enhance economic development in neighborhoods, help overcome the digital divide, reduce the cost of service delivery and enhance the overall experience for visitors," said Dianah Neff, chief information officer of the committee.

In addition to providing this service to Philly residents, the city hopes to attract attention on both a national and international scale. Other major cities, like New York and San Francisco, are already following suit.

"It will be very convenient to have wireless access everywhere," sophomore foreign-exchange student Eric Wong said. He added that "In Hong Kong it is only available in a few areas, like on college campuses, and it is expensive."

So far it seems that at least some local residents are taking advantage of the opportunity already, as it currently exists. According to Neff, there have already been over 2,000 people to register to use the free wireless Internet. She added that "response has been very good."

Apparently, however, not everyone feels so positively about the initiative.

"It's a good idea, but we need other things more," said local resident Aquarius Hawking.

She stressed that the city's money could be spent more productively on issues like improving education and fighting crime.

Nevertheless, the city sees the initiative as a way to advertise Philadelphia and bolster the reputation of the city in general.

Whether or not Philadelphia's reputation as a technologically sophisticated city is as important as other pertinent issues remains to be seen.

The next locations scheduled to become wireless in the near future are the Norris Square area, the historic district and Rittenhouse Square. The committee anticipates widespread construction to begin this summer and for the city to become completely wireless by the summer of 2006.