Fraternity parties are not for everyone.

With a large Greek presence on Penn's campus, there is a division between those students who enjoy going to fraternity parties and those who do not.

First and foremost, students said that fraternity parties are mainly frequented by freshmen, sophomores and members of the particular Greek house that is throwing the party -- a reason some upperclassmen do not attend.

"Senior girls wouldn't want to go because it's overwhelmed by freshmen," College senior Rebecca Elwork said. "By the time you get to be a junior or a senior, it's old."

Freshmen recognized this trend as well.

"I feel like the majority of people that are [at the party] are in the fraternity," Nursing freshman Katherine Galgani said. "As you get older, you consider [the parties] immature."

Galgani added that upperclassmen go to bars. "I don't have a fake [ID]," she said, explaining why she goes to fraternity parties instead.

College freshman Jessica Rotman said that she understands why students might like fraternity parties. Along with the fact that it's a lot cheaper -- due to free alcohol and no cab fare -- fraternity parties are a lot more convenient, she said.

However, Rotman chooses not to go to these parties. Sharing the sentiments of many upperclassmen, Rotman said, "It's the same story over and over."

And still there are students who lie somewhere in the middle.

College sophomore Anne Kircher said she thinks fraternity parties are "fun, though lame."

In a sarcastic tone, she added, "There are few things I like better than warm, flat Beast [Milwaukee's Best beer] and a packed, smelly room."

Although some students dislike fraternity parties, "some people are really in their element there," according to College senior Steven Jacobs.

"If you're into that ... then it's a once in-a-lifetime opportunity," Jacobs said.

Paul Mule, a Wharton sophomore and member of Beta Theta Pi, enjoys the parties that his fraternity throws.

According to Mule, "The best part of the party is when the drunk guy gets up on a table and starts doing Eagles chants."

But some students prefer a quieter atmosphere.

Wharton freshman Benjamin Taylor said, "I'd rather just sit around ... or go out to dinner in Center City."

"You're not close with anyone who's there," Taylor added. "Unless you're a brother or you hang out there religiously, you have no motivation to go."

Like Taylor, some students are skeptical of the friendships fraternity brothers make with their party-goers.

"Certainly some [relationships] are superficial," said Jacobs, who believes that it is due, in part, to the free alcohol.

Students in the Greek community agreed.

College junior Matthew Valenti, a member of Alpha Tau Omega, said that some students want the fraternity brother "to pull some strings to get into a party."

Mule said, "If you're standing at the door [letting students into the party], you become everyone's best friend."