College junior Jack Cohen paid nearly $15,000 to study abroad at the University of Edinburgh this past fall. However, if Cohen had been allowed to apply directly to Edinburgh, rather than having to go through the Penn Abroad program, he could have saved nearly $4,000.

All four of Penn's undergraduate schools have a policy against awarding any credit for classes taken overseas if a student applies independently of the Penn Abroad office.

Cohen said he cannot see the justification for having to pay full tuition.

"Financially, nothing is worse than the fact that you're paying Penn tuition," he said. "That's really the most painful thing, more than anything else."

Up until 1994, Penn students were allowed to apply directly to universities overseas. However, if students chose this option, they could not receive financial aid and had no assurance of credit approval upon their return.

Penn Abroad Director Geoffrey Gee said in an e-mail interview that there are several reasons why students must pay Penn tuition when they go abroad.

Along with the financial aid factor, Penn wants to affirm the "academic quality of these options, to provide appropriate support services to students and to involve Penn faculty directly in these matters," Gee said.

Students are required to pay Penn's tuition "to assure the resources necessary to devote to planning, developing and implementing these options ... conducted at the cost of considerable faculty time and attention."

Most of the Penn sophomores that plan to study abroad who were interviewed did not realize the possible difference in costs but said that it doesn't deter them from going overseas to study.

College sophomore Laura Bierbower -- who plans to study in Australia -- said she was "shocked" to hear that if she were allowed to apply directly to the University of Sydney, she would pay only $8,118, considerably less than Penn's tuition rate.

"I didn't realize the price differential," she said. "It wouldn't stop me from going abroad though."

April Hail, a sophomore in the College, plans to go to London in the fall. Although she did not know of the possible ramifications of having to pay Penn's tuition, she said, "I'm too lazy to investigate. I just like that [the application and payment process] is streamlined and easy to deal with."

"The study abroad office ... seems really helpful," Hail said. "I just don't know if they're $18,000 worth of helpful."

Cost of studies Penn Abroad: Tuition/semester: $13,772 Study abroad fee: $1,220

Selected direct enrollment: U. of Sydney: $8,118 U. College Dublin: $8,300