[David Siegel/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Senior associates sit in on History professor Jonathan Steinberg's 'Europe 1890 to 1945' class. They are part of a growing trend of retirees returning to the classroom. Penn's program has increased in popularity rec

Sissy Carpey is one of Penn's most enthusiastic students. She talks with her professors after class, prepares for lecture and even does the recommended reading. Yet Carpey, a grandmother of six, is not a run-of-the-mill Penn student.

Carpey is one of 400 senior citizens who registered to audit a class at Penn this semester. Penn, like many other top universities, has seen a marked increase during recent years in seniors signing up to audit undergraduate courses.

The Senior Associates Program, run under the auspices of the College of General Studies, is one of the biggest senior auditor programs in the country. In SAP, seniors aged 65 and older are permitted to enroll in two undergraduate classes per semester.

Courses cost $180 each and seniors attend the classes but are not assigned the coursework. Price has risen with popularity -- seniors once paid only $50 a class.

"The program is kind of maxed out," SAP Coordinator Eleni Litt said. "It started out as a small program, but it grew by word of mouth. ... Ten or 15 years ago, we would put up notices. Now it's so big, there is no need to advertise."

Auditing courses appeals to retired seniors who are searching for intellectual stimulation and activity. It is so popular that retirement communities have begun to advertise nearby college campuses as a benefit to living in the communities.

Carpey heard about SAP from a woman in her book club last year and has taken three classes so far.

"I love Penn," Carpey said. "Continuing education has always been a part of my life, and I know I will be taking courses forever."

Despite her enthusiasm about learning, Carpey is careful not to over-participate in class.

"I don't want to be taking time away from undergraduates," Carpey said, adding, "I try really hard not to talk too much."

Though the program is advertised as "silent auditors," it is up to the discretion of the professor whether or not seniors can participate.

Political Science lecturer Mary Summers encourages the two senior associates in her class to participate in her "Politics of Food" seminar.

"They provide a kind of broader perspective in a whole variety of ways," Summers said. "The whole idea of having multi-generational perspectives on issues of politics and history I think is a great thing."

According to Litt, participants in SAP are involved in campus life. The senior associates go to the faculty club, attend student cultural activities and watch school sporting events.

SAP serves as a marketing tool to promote good public relations with the neighboring community. It also helps the University connect with alumni who are seen as potential donors -- those who take classes often go on to give gifts far larger than the initial course fee.

All of the profits from SAP go toward scholarships for undergraduates in CGS.

"The program is a win-win," Litt said. "It's about vibrant people interested in lifelong learning ... who are very much part of the campus as a whole."