Students casting their votes today may head to new polling locations on campus as a result of recent city changes.

Penn's campus and the surrounding area host a variety of polling locations, to which students have been assigned based on the address at which they are registered.

For students living on campus, sites are located in several college houses and lecture halls, including Steinberg-Dietrich Hall, David Rittenhouse Laboratory, Harrison College House, Harnwell College House and Houston Hall.

In the past, all students on campus have voted at DRL; however, due to a petition by the Penn College Democrats, the additional voting sites were added. During the 2000 election, if students went to the wrong location, they would just be moved to a different room, but now students might have to walk across campus to their correct location.

Students living off campus vote at sites ranging from Fairfax Apartments at 4247 Locust St. to Penn Center for Rehabilitation and Care at 3609 Chestnut St. to the Last Word Bookshop at 3925 Walnut St.

All of these sites will probably have two electronic voting machines. More heavily populated areas in the city will have three machines. Although there has been more enthusiasm among young potential voters in this election, past elections have seen few college students turn out to the polls, according to Chris Sheridan, research director of the Committee of Seventy, a political watchdog group.

If registered voters do not know where to vote, they can find information at the "Polling Place Locator" on www.hallwatch.org.

Regardless of polling location, Sheridan stresses the importance of bringing the proper identification -- student ID, Pennsylvania driver's license or voter registration card. Out-of-state driver's licenses will not qualify as valid identification.

If students go to the wrong location, several things might happen.

"The first thing [volunteers] are going to do is try and get them to the proper polling place," Sheridan said. "The closer it gets to [8 p.m.], they will let them cast a provisional ballot."

The provisional ballot is a lot like an absentee ballot, so it takes additional time to fill out personal information. On-site volunteers will also allow students to vote with a provisional ballot if they do not have proper identification, Sheridan said.

If a student's right to vote is challenged, volunteers might ask for an affidavit verifying the student's identity.

In order to lessen time spent waiting in line, Sheridan encourages "people to vote early in the day."

"The peak is usually before work and after work," Sheridan said. "Also, anyone who is not familiar with the machines should look at [www.seventy.org] to learn more about them."

In order to help with any problems that might arise, Sheridan said, there will be "about a hundred students from Penn volunteering with us."

These students will be "randomly visiting polling sites," Sheridan said. "They are [dispatched to deal with] problems like fraud, or if someone is campaigning in the election site."

But mainly, "Our people are there to help." If anyone needs further assistance with voting, Sheridan suggests calling the Committee of Seventy at (215) 557-3600.

Five things to know on Election DayCourtesy of the League of Women Votersn

YOUR BALLOT, YOUR VOTE: Don't panic if you registered to vote, but your name is not on the list. You may be directed to another polling place or given a provisional ballot.

ID -- DON'T GO WITHOUT IT: You may need to show ID. To be safe, bring your Penn ID or a paycheck, utility bill or government document that includes your name and street address.

IN AND OUT: You probably won't have to wait too long. Even if the line is long, don't leave without voting.

WRITING ON THE WALL: Look at the signs at the polling place for directions on how to use the voting machines, a list of your voting rights and instructions for filing a complaint if your rights have been violated.

WHEN IN DOUBT, ASK: Poll workers are there to help you. They'll show you how to work the machines and give you a provisional ballot if you need one.