[Carin Bloom/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Richmond professor Azizah al-Hibri discusses the relationship between Islam and democracy last night, marking the end of Islam Awareness Week.

To mark the end of Islam Awareness Week and the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, the Muslim Students Association held a forum last night in Logan Hall to discuss Islam and democracy.

Amidst prayer rugs and veiled audience members, University of Richmond law professor and Penn Law School graduate Azizah al-Hibri expressed worry that Americans are letting their democratic rights slip through their fingers.

"If you lose it, it doesn't come back," al-Hibri said. "Don't think you have it forever just because you have a Constitution. Use it or lose it."

Al-Hibri urged Americans to learn about how Islamic democracy was subverted after the death of the Prophet Mohammed so that they can better protect modern American democracy.

She suggested that democracy will succeed in Islamic Iraq and Afghanistan only if the change comes from within.

"It depends on how we present it," al-Hibri said. "If it is Western democracy presented as something alien and being imposed from the outside, I truly doubt it."

The importance of forming educated opinions about Islam and democracy cannot be underestimated, according to al-Hibri. She urged Muslims to take the initiative to learn about Islam for themselves and not accept the interpretation of others who simply pose as knowledgeable.

Amir Memon, a College and Wharton junior and co-chairman of IAW, stressed the beauty of Muslim culture and the importance of being aware of Islam as a major religion.

"What we really hope that people will take away from this week is a greater understanding of Islam," said Memon, one of approximately 100 people in attendance. "We wanted to create a forum for others to come and learn about this religion."

Rev. Beverly Dale, director of the Penn Christian Association, said she believed that Americans must open their eyes to Muslim culture.

"The lecture revealed how very ignorant Westerners, but particularly Americans, are about our Muslim brothers and sisters," Dale said.

Al-Hibri believes that the Islamic world is thirsty for democracy and expressed optimism about the future.

"I can't believe that there are any people in the world who would not choose a democracy," al-Hibri said.

She went on to say that harmony will be attained with the free consent of the governed, true consultation with citizens, observation of the Muslim Bill of Rights in the Quran and religious and social pluralism.

Al-Hibri is a Fulbright scholar, author and founder of "Karamah: Muslim Women Lawyers for Human Rights." She has traveled all over the world to discuss Islam and democracy.