A couple of Gonzaga University seniors plan to disprove the idea that today's youth are politically apathetic with a book containing commentary from students across the nation about world affairs.

Rob Grabow and Dean Robbins have dug into their own pockets to produce What We Think, a book containing 99 works -- essays, poems, cartoons or pictures -- concerning political and social issues ranging from the military draft to AIDS. Though they want to publish the book before the general election on Nov. 2, pushing a specific political agenda is not, they say, their intention.

After all, Grabow is a Democrat while Robbins is a Republican. Instead of producing another partisan piece, the two want to show that students are paying attention to world affairs and are willing to express their ideas.

"We want to allow them a platform to talk about things that are really important to them," Grabow said. "Students are not apathetic, but they see things differently."

Grabow noted that the 18 to 24 age group was clearly underrepresented in all matters political. "It's important that [students] understand that they do have a say in national policy," he said. "It's important that they realize they do have a voice."

The two students started work on the project during the summer, e-mailing many on-campus groups and college newspapers asking them to inform the student bodies of the book. The attention increased when the Seattle Post-Intelligencer ran a story about their efforts in August.

As time passed, they received over 400 submissions. Three other students assisted with technical aspects such as layout, and a board of advisers consisting of professors, lawyers and authors helped select works. However, the bulk of the editing was conducted by Grabow and Robbins.

"We've put in thousands of hours over the past few months," Grabow said. "But it's been really successful, amazing."

Pieces originated from over 100 colleges throughout the country, including Princeton University, the University of Michigan, the University of California, Berkeley and Penn.

College senior Samantha Vinograd sent in a three-page essay entitled "Issues of Palestinian Identity" that will be published in the book. As an Asian and Middle Eastern Studies major, she is particularly interested in the topic, and was intrigued by the opportunity the Gonzaga project offered.

"It tries to give a voice to those of us that are passionate about things," she said. "I hope it will spur others to consider what the issues are."

No one can be sure if the book will be commercially successful. The two founders are hopeful about getting it on the shelves of major bookstores and are in contact with Barnes & Noble. Money, they say, is not the aim, though strong sales would be welcome.

"It'd be nice, it'd be great if the book made money," Grabow said. "It would reflect that people are reading it" and thinking about the issues presented.

Inspiring students, sparking debate and creating change remain the primary goals, and with the election looming, engaging the country's youth could be vital. In the 2000 presidential elections, only 42 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds voted. Everyone involved in the book hopes that its publication may alter that weak statistic.

"I think that this thing is going to motivate students to vote, motivate them to get involved in the political process at large," Vinograd said. "It will get them thinking just to make a difference."