When University President Amy Gutmann first came to Penn, she already had strong ideas about shaping the curriculum.

Gutmann mirrors former University President Judith Rodin's ambitions to link Penn to the community and integrate coursework among the different University schools.

"I would like us to be a model of a university that integrates arts and sciences ... where every student was both prepared for a profession and broadly educated," Gutmann said. "I would like to see more collaboration among the schools ... because, you know, we have it right here. We don't have to go very far."

Ten years ago, Rodin had a similar outlook, pledging in her inauguration speech to "encourage even more interdisciplinary courses and programs," to focus on evolving technology and to blend theory and practice. She presided over a number of new dual-degree programs, an overhaul of the School of Engineering and Applied Science curriculum, changes to the other schools' curricula and the Pilot Curriculum experiment, which concludes this year.

The role of the president in changing the curriculum "varies from school to school," according to Debra Humphreys, spokeswoman for the Association of American Colleges and Universities -- of which Penn is a member.

"I don't think that with a new president, you should assume that there will be an overhaul in curriculum," Humphreys said. "A curriculum is always in flux, as campuses are always dealing with a changing environment."

Still, Humphreys noted the significance of Gutmann's former position as provost at Princeton University.

"That is the role that generally on a campus is the leader of the academic enterprise, so curriculum changes tend to originate in that office," Humphreys said. "She should come with a lot of ideas about the curriculum."

And since she arrived at Penn, Gutmann has been meeting with faculty, students and deans to share her vision of a Penn education.

"We're really excited about engaging her in this conversation," said Rebecca Bushnell, dean of the College. "We think she has a huge amount to contribute in helping us move forward. She has obviously thought a lot about undergraduate education and has written about it as well."

One significant area of concern to Gutmann is service learning. "We are engaged in real-world problems," she said. "That's one of our hallmarks, and I would like to do more of that."

To that end, Gutmann spoke to undergraduates who attended a summer public service seminar and explained her ideas about local involvement and academically-based community service -- academic courses that involve hands-on community service.

He added, "She was strongly supportive of what has already occurred, and indicated that she would help strengthen this work in the future. She will be a very strong ally."

During Rodin's 10-year term, service learning "grew considerably, certainly in part due to her support," according to Deirdra Stockmann, public service coordinator for Center for Community Partnerships. Stockmann hopes for even more growth in the next decade.

"This is really right up her alley," Stockmann added. "I certainly read a lot of her writing as a student, and this is an academic interest of hers -- how do we educate citizens for a vibrant, diverse democracy? I think she's already thought about this kind of education."

Gutmann will also likely address the potential American Cultural Analysis Requirement, proposed earlier this year by the group Student Movement for Change, which is a topic that she has said she needs to further explore.

Additionally, the Pilot experiment -- which offers students an alternative track for fulfilling general education requirements -- is ending this year and will be on the forefront of academic affairs.

"The debate we're coming to in a few years is thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the Pilot," said Bushnell, who is on the executive committee for the Pilot program.

She added, "We're looking for what the best balance is, how research should be integrated and what a general education course should look like."

At Princeton, where Gutmann was provost, the general education requirements are similar to Penn's. All Princeton students are required take a freshman writing seminar, and bachelor's degree candidates have a foreign language requirement.

While faculty members ultimately determine the curriculum and any modification of it, the president's opinion provides an important backdrop.

"Most presidents don't get directly involved in curriculum changes, but they do set a kind of tone for education," said Kent Peterman, director of academic affairs for the College.

And that tone does have substantial influence.

"We as a faculty wouldn't want to go forward with a curriculum that is seriously at odds with what the president wants," Bushnell said. This article appeared as part of the "Amy Gutmann: Changing of the Guard" series.