University Provost Robert Barchi will leave Penn to become the next president of Thomas Jefferson University on Sept. 1, University officials announced on Monday.

Barchi, who has been at Penn for over 30 years, has served as provost under University President Judith Rodin for the past five years. Barchi's departure coincides with the close of Rodin's administration, which officially ends on June 30. As provost -- the position Barchi has occupied since 1999 -- Barchi is the University's chief academic officer.

"I was brought into the provost's office by President Rodin," Barchi said. "She and I have spent nearly six years working together. We've had an absolutely tremendous relationship, without a doubt the best working relationship that I have ever had with a professional superior."

"It is common for the provost to turn over -- if not at the same time as, at least somewhere in the cycle with the presidency -- because the two individuals work so closely together," he added.

In a press statement, Rodin agreed that her working relationship with Barchi was both positive and rewarding.

"I am deeply grateful for the vision and commitment he has brought to his tenure as provost," Rodin said. "He has been an outstanding provost, trusted advisor and a good friend."

Thomas Jefferson University is also located in Philadelphia, about 25 blocks from Barchi's current office in College Hall. Barchi noted that the university was a good match for him in terms of both location and his field of study. Barchi, who received his Ph.D. and M.D. from Penn, said he hopes to use his experience in the medical field to lead Thomas Jefferson, since it is an institution focused on educating future health professionals.

"I'm committed to stay in Philadelphia for the immediate future, and the opportunity to move to Jefferson I think is a tremendous one for me," Barchi said.

"Thomas Jefferson is one of the oldest and most respected health care degree and educational institutions in the country," he added. "I believe that it can and should have the opportunity to continue to grow and to be an outstanding force in medical education and medical research in clinical care, both regionally and nationally."

Barchi replaces Thomas Jefferson's third president, Paul C. Brucker, who announced his retirement in July 2003. Brucker occupied the post for 14 years before his departure. Barchi was elected to the position today after a vote by Thomas Jefferson's Board of Trustees.

"It gives me great pleasure to welcome Dr. Robert Barchi to Jefferson," said chair of Thomas Jefferson's Board of Trustees Brian G. Harrison in a press statement. "He brings to the Presidency an extraordinary blend of academic leadership, experience and professional expertise that will help position the university for continued excellence."

Though Barchi noted that as the provost of a prominent university such as Penn one is often approached by other Universities -- Penn President-Elect Amy Gutmann is currently provost at Princeton University--he added that Thomas Jefferson was the only institution with which he seriously discussed his future.