University Police officers are commended for their work as University Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush looks on. [Ari Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Public safety officials and students paid tribute to the notable work of the security guards and police officers of Penn last Wednesday.

In a ceremony that began with a bagpipe playing honor guard, several public safety officials received commendations for outstanding merit, actions or behavior that were especially worthy of notice. Seven officers new to the department were also sworn in.

"We welcome you to the finest police department not only in the city or the state, but the country," Vice President of Public Safety Maureen Rush said in her opening remarks.

Before administering the oath of office, University Chief of Police Tom Rambo told the new officers a little of what they had to look forward to as they started their careers as law enforcement agents.

"You're going to be tasked with many tough duties, but this is an enjoyable atmosphere," Rambo said. "We expect you're going to give 110 percent on every night, every duty, every tour."

The primary purpose of the ceremony was to award individuals for their especially hard work. Through the Undergraduate Assembly, students had a say in choosing which public safety agents would receive commendations.

"We sent out an all-school e-mail" asking for responses, outgoing UA Chairman and College senior Jason Levy said. "We got 30 to 40 responses, many for the same people."

The UA representatives gave commendations to several Allied Security guards, and read favorable comments students had made. Most of the guards receiving awards work at campus housing buildings.

"Harrison House is a safer and more cheerful place with Mary here," read one student's comment, referring to Allied Security guard Mary Stevens, who works in Harrison College House. Incoming UA Chairman and College junior Jason Levine noted that she had broken a record for number of nominations, but the praise heaped on her was typical of students' remarks on other award recipients.

On a more tragic note, one student read a remembrance of Charles Walker, a security guard in College Hall who suffered a fatal heart attack in September.

Walker was well-liked by his colleagues and students, with University President Judith Rodin labeling him "a wonderful ambassador for Penn" in an e-mail statement after his death. His family was presented with a remembrance plaque.

Some students took the opportunity to praise the police for their invaluable service in non-criminal affairs. College freshman Andrew Mener awarded Rambo and Deputy Chief of Police Michael Fink for their cooperation and assistance in the formation of a student-run Medical Emergency Response team.

"There are few opportunities you have as a student" to develop a new and worthwhile project, Mener said. The police "took us extremely seriously. ... We felt the need to recognize them for their efforts and time."

The subsequent commendations to police officers presented by Rambo and Fink highlighted the variety of threats police must deal with around the Penn campus. Awards were given on the grounds of particularly noteworthy service in which officers had shown intelligence, courage and a strong desire to protect the community.

Officer Dawn Kennedy was praised in the handling of a situation in which a student had cut herself and then locked herself in a shower room in Sansom West for two hours. Kennedy quickly responded to the alert call and remained at the location the entire time, attempting to talk the student out of committing any further injuries to her person.

"Your quick response and diligence helped save the life of a young woman," Lt. Gary Heller said to Kennedy.

Other officers were commended for thorough searches of suspects that resulted in recovering illegally owned handguns, or being sharp-eyed and quick-witted enough to arrest robbery and burglary suspects. Rambo noted that the awards thoroughly reflected the quality of service the department provided.

"This ceremony really brings everything to a front," Rambo said. "Security officers and administrators go above and beyond the call of duty, it's important for us to recognize that."