A male student was assaulted on Friday afternoon near the corner of 31st and Spring Garden streets.

The student was jogging with a friend around 2 p.m. in the area between Penn's campus and Fairmount Park when he was approached by two men.

One of the two men "approached him and struck him on the head several times before running away with another male," Chief of University of Pennsylvania Police Tom Rambo said.

According to police, the incident could possibly be classified as a hate crime. Rambo said that while the exact information is vague, the offender may have made a racial slur during the attack.

Nothing was taken from the victim, and no weapons were used in the attack. Police are further investigating the cause of the incident.

The offender was described as a clean-shaven white male approximately 5-foot-11 who was wearing khaki pants.

Once the attacker ran away, the victim immediately called the Philadelphia Police. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and treated for minor cuts to his lip. He did not suffer any other significant injuries.

The offense took place outside of the Penn Police's jurisdiction, so Philadelphia Police are investigating the incident, with assistance from the Penn department.

Rambo said he does not believe the offender poses an immediate threat to the Penn community.

"I have no indication that this situation is going to reoccur," he said.

Rambo said that students should always use caution when venturing off campus. He also added that while the Penn campus and its surrounding vicinity are well patrolled, other areas in the city are not so well guarded.

It can be risky to walk "in areas that aren't well traveled," he said. "Travel in numbers ... [and] take well-lit roads."

He added that it was also advisable for students to stay in densely populated locations when they do leave the campus vicinity.

"People should have a right to [go] wherever they want," Rambo said. But "31st and Spring [Garden] is not as heavily populated as other areas."