Over the past 10 years, University President Judith Rodin has worked to transform Penn's campus into a bustling retail area, helping to reduce crime and attract significantly more students to the University. After she steps down as president at the end of June, Rodin will likely take her experience to the road and attempt to repeat her successes elsewhere.

As president, Rodin became known for her leadership and talent in the urban arena. As Penn and University City improved, people from across the country began to take notice.

Though many have speculated about Rodin's possible political career, her future will most likely start with nonpolitical work in cities. She has already developed power in Philadelphia as a leader in Innovation Philadelphia and the Knowledge Industry Partnership -- a group of agencies devoted to attracting and retaining college students in the region. KIP has seen widespread success, and Rodin is likely to take her model elsewhere with the hope of attaining similar results.

"I think she has a global interest," said Richard Bendis, who works closely with Rodin through Innovation Philadelphia and KIP. "She is recognized and respected around the world. And the transformation of West Philadelphia in the last 10 years is being viewed as one of the major urban success transformations that's occurred."

Rodin will remain connected to the city, as she plans to remain on the board of Innovation Philadelphia to continue her work with the development of the region.

"It's something that will enable her to spend part of her time in Philadelphia," Bendis said. "She's got, I'm sure, other personal initiatives that she's involved with that will be in Pennsylvania and Philadelphia-related."

"But she's got a bigger canvas that she can paint on these days," he added.

Rodin has already begun to write a book about the development of West Philadelphia and this year launched Penn's Urban Research Institute, which is devoted to the study of urban issues.

Last Tuesday, Rodin took her message to Capitol Hill, delivering a speech in Washington, D.C., discussing contemporary urban challenges.

"I'm writing two books, one on West Philadelphia and what we've accomplished, which has gotten more acclaim recently," Rodin said. There is "tremendous interest in what we've accomplished," she added.

Rodin's two books -- the other book currently in the works is on leadership -- demonstrate the wealth of experience that she could apply elsewhere around the country and the world.

KIP's Lead Partner David Thornburgh has come to know Rodin well and expects that she will continue to build on her passion for urban issues.

"I think she clearly has a great interest in Philadelphia," Thornburgh said, though he noted that the Urban Institute is "testament to her passion for urban areas all over the world."

Before launching any big career plans, one thing is certain for Rodin's future -- rest.

"I'm going to take some time off, spend some time in warm and interesting places," Rodin said. She hopes to visit the south of France, Florida and the Caribbean before settling down in New York City. She also plans to find a permanent spot in the Philadelphia area the following year.

Her ties to Penn will remain strong, however, and she will continue to build upon her success here to try and apply her skills to other outlets.

Rodin is set to serve as the keynote speaker for both the Fannie Mae and Pew foundations this summer, and next year, Penn will host a conference to determine "whether the [West Philadelphia] model is replicable and [to] teach what we can to other colleges and universities around the country," she said.

Regardless of what she plans to do with her time, it is clear that Rodin's extensive talents and passions will lead her to success on a grand scale.