Princeton forward Andre Logan looks to pass in the Tigers' 59-46 win over Cornell Saturday night.[Fred David/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Princeton head coach John Thompson III is not thinking about his team's potential trip to the NCAA Tournament. "Nope," he said. "I'm thinking about Harvard and Dartmouth."

But after sweeping Columbia and Cornell at home, a pair of wins next weekend in New England would secure the Ivy League championship and punch a tournament ticket for the Tigers.

For that reason, many a Penn fan kept one eye on the Palestra and the other on the score from Jadwin Gym, as the Quakers needed some help. The Lions or Big Red were the two teams left on the schedule most likely to defeat Princeton before the Orange and Black came to Philadelphia.

The Palestra faithful would not get their wish.

Princeton (17-7, 10-1 Ivy) breezed past Columbia, 75-52, behind a monstrous 71.8 percent shooting performance. Junior center Judson Wallace posted 24 points and nine rebounds for the Tigers.

Two different teams showed up the next night, however. Cornell (11-14, 6-6) traveled north to New Jersey coming off an 84-69 loss to Penn, and could not find its rhythm all night. After starting slow, the Big Red found itself behind, 27-18, at the half.

Princeton came out of the intermission with a 9-0 run, behind a pair of baskets from junior guard Will Venable, who left the game with a back injury.

"He's not allowed to be hurt too long," Thompson said of Venable, who is second on the team with 13.3 points per Ivy game.

Cornell could not put together an offensive attack of its own after the break to get back in the game, finally succumbing to the Tigers, 59-46. The Big Red went only 2-of-16 from three-point range, and struggled getting the ball inside against the 6-foot-8 Wallace and 6-10 junior Mike Stephens.

Both teams were feeling the effects of a Saturday slump. Cornell shot just 32.1 percent from the field, compared to 47.2 percent against Penn the night before. Princeton managed only 38.8 percent, a drop off of 33 percentage points from its previous game against the Lions.

"Both are probably extremes, and the constant has been our defense," Thompson said. "But we were able to hit shots and make plays when we needed to and that's what this team has found a way to do this year."

Princeton did make plays. The Tigers controlled the game from the opening tip. A layup from junior forward Andre Logan put Princeton on the board two minutes in. The Orange and Black would stay in front the rest of the game.

Cornell senior Ka'Ron Barnes, the Ivy League's leading scorer with 21.1 points per game, was the only player in red to record double figures with 14 points. Cornell's up-tempo offense was stifled by Princeton's "system" that effectively neutralized the transition game.

"They have great floor balance," Cornell head coach Steve Donahue said. "They really are committed to stopping the ball in transition."

A few fans shouted "Way to go. Just play Princeton basketball." That is exactly what the Tigers did. Logan nabbed a career-high 14 rebounds, and along with sophomore Scott Greenman, led a balanced Princeton offense with 12 points. Three others logged 11 as the Tigers executed their game plan of careful shot selection and strong defensive presence from coast to coast.

"We were balanced at both ends of the floor," Thompson said. "Everyone, individually and collectively, I think did a good job at the defensive end against a team that's hard to guard."

NOTES: Princeton celebrated senior night, honoring guard Ed Persia. The Beaumont, Texas, native did not play due to a deep thigh contusion but cheered on his team from the bench. Thompson did not specify when Persia would return to the lineup, but suggested it could be as soon as this weekend.

Cornell last recorded a victory at Jadwin Gym, 48-42, in 1985.