Sophomore foil Christina Kaneshige won a bronze medal at the 2004 IFAs, as Penn took home the title.[Julie Sheetz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

In an absolutely perfect performance, Penn freshman sabre Annika Eiremo captured the Intercollegiate Fencing Association's women's individual sabre title, and led the women's fencing team to its first IFA team championship ever.

"It was exciting to be the champion -- I always love winning," Eiremo said.

The Carmichael, Calif., native, who was recently named to the first-team All-Ivy squad, won all 11 of her bouts at the 2004 IFAs en route to the championship.

Eiremo easily defeated the first of her three opponents in the championship round.

In her fourth and final bout, however, the rookie found herself facing last year's runner-up and this year's No. 2 seed, Veronica Padula of Columbia. Amidst great pressure, Eiremo remained poised and kept her focus throughout the gold medal bout. When the dust finally settled, the Penn freshman emerged victorious, 15-11.

"She is an extremely talented fencer," Penn coach Dave Micahnik said. "Her skill, attitude and psyche are all just remarkable."

Both Eiremo's title and the team's are particularly rewarding, given the Quakers' rivalry with Columbia.

"It was nice to beat every single person on the Columbia women's sabre squad," Eiremo said. "Especially since I know they thought that Penn beating them for the Ivy title was a fluke.

"I think it was very important for the team to win this to show that we are the best in the league," she said. "There were no accidents, no exceptions, we are flat out the best team in the league."

Only a week after winning the Ivy League title, the women have now silenced the critics, and have added a new addition to their trophy collection with this monumental win.

"IFA is an extremely prestigious tournament -- this really is a historic achievement for our program," Micahnik said. "It is emblematic of the team's excellence up and down the roster."

This season has been regularly characterized by such displays of skill and perfection. Despite the fact that 10 of the 13 members on the team are sophomores and freshmen, the Quakers recorded a 19-1 overall record and were undefeated in the Ivy League. This remarkable achievement can largely be attributed to the young team's chemistry.

"They are very supportive of one another, taking care of each other and always helping prep one another before each bout," Micahnik said. "Individual excellence is a part of the story, but team support and effort is really what puts this group over the top."

According to Eiremo, the team's success can be attributed to its dedication, focus and willingness to sacrifice.

"That's what being a champion is -- working hard at something even if it isn't convenient or necessarily fun," Eiremo said. "That's what gets results."

The men's fencing team placed fourth overall at the IFA's, behind a strong third-place showing at foil by senior Andy Radu, junior Stephen Gavalas and freshman Michael Galligan. Radu captured the bronze medal at his final IFA appearance, falling to top-seeded Jeremy Sinkin of Columbia.