Community leaders in West Philadelphia are ready to give Penn presidential nominee Amy Gutmann a chance. They say she needs time to formulate her policies toward the surrounding community.

However, some neighbors who are unhappy with the way Penn has acted in their area remain skeptical about the University's intentions with regard to westward expansion and development.

"I would like the same commitment to the community that was seen under [University President Judith] Rodin's tenure," said Greg Salisbury, a Spruce Hill resident and owner of Rx restaurant.

Salisbury added that, as a local business owner and Penn alumnus, he would encourage the same trajectory of westward expansion.

Some, however, are not so pleased with Penn's developments, calling the moves "gentrification" and "suburbanization" of a vibrant urban community.

"I would like to see a true partnership," said West Philadelphia resident and Neighbors Against McPenntrification member Larry Falcon. "I would like to see Penn work with the community, not for the community. ... Right now, we are always readjusting our agenda to Penn's agenda, and that's not a true partnership."

"If they seek to expand east or west, we have to make sure it's inclusive development and doesn't lead to displacement," Falcon added.

Falcon expressed hope that Gutmann would listen to the voices of the community and would be more responsive to their concerns than previous administrations.

Some community leaders -- despite being cautious of the economic might wielded by the city's largest private employer -- are welcoming of the new president.

"From the community perspective, we are hopeful that Dr. Gutmann will have the same degree of commitment that Judith Rodin had in terms of interest in public education and neighborhood development," said Barry Grossbach, executive vice president of the Spruce Hill Community Association, who lives in the area.

Having spent the last 28 years of her career in Princeton, N.J., Gutmann has not actively dealt with an urban community like West Philadelphia. Critics have charged that her inexperience will be problematic, but most neighborhood leaders seem to be giving her time to adjust to the environment.

The inexperience "puts her at some disadvantage," said Jacob Nachmias, a Psychology professor and resident of Garden Court, a neighborhood in West Philadelphia. "But if she is smart and if she is interested in ethical issues of the community, she could learn. You don't have to be a lifetime resident of an urban community to learn how to react to it."

Grossbach also expressed concerned optimism about Gutmann's expected learning curve in her relations with West Philadelphia, which he described as "steep."

Many community leaders were ready to offer concrete suggestions to the new administrator to aid her with community relations.

Professor of Social Work Walter Palmer, who lives in West Philadelphia, expressed his hopes for the new administration in a letter written to Rodin last week. Palmer believes that there is excellent potential for the University to offer low-interest loans to the community, rebuild some of the lost housing, support neighborhood schools, expand student involvement and community partnerships and support research on social issues within West Philadelphia.

Falcon proposed new recreational facilities and Internet access, possibly being embodied in a community center. But regardless of the form, Falcon thought that "greater investment into the youths of the neighborhood" is needed.