[Fred David/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Should you find yourself in Center City and craving a comfortable coffee shop, your knee-jerk reaction may be to head to Starbucks. However, if you fear for your soul -- or your pocketbook -- the Tuscany Cafe offers a casual and relaxed alternative at a slightly cheaper price.

Situated right on Rittenhouse Square, Tuscany Cafe's location takes full advantage of the one square block of Philadelphia that earns the classification "ritzy." But do not let the area's overpriced restaurants and abundance of doormen fool you. You can easily walk into the Tuscany Cafe and have a good meal without mortgaging your home.

Tuscany Cafe
222 W. Rittenhouse Square (215) 772-0605 Fare: Sandwiches and coffee Comfortable atmosphere, quality lattes and excellent downtown location.
Their selection is mostly sandwiches, soups and salads: think Cosi, but without the chaos. Wraps and sandwiches are usually $5 to $7, and consist mainly of chicken, turkey and beef, although there are some options for vegetarians. Salads run $4 to $8 and often contain items one would not usually think to mix with lettuce (mandarin oranges? ginger-soy dressing?). Regardless, all salads and sandwiches are made fresh to order.

The sandwiches are passable, but your best bet is probably the pastries. In fact, for those who are looking for the best of the cafe and not watching their sugar intake too carefully, coffee and pastries are a good way to go.

Tuscany Cafe's most appealing offering, however, is easily their latte. Lattes can be dangerous business; as our friends at Anheuser-Busch remind us, they cost a latte, and often take a latte time to drink. But muster your courage; here they are worth the risk. A 20-ounce iced latte, at $3.25, is a refreshing morning (or early afternoon) drink, and for those needing to stay awake and unpleasantly alert for the next week, a triple-shot espresso at $1.75 could be the way to go.

The cafe's atmosphere is quiet and laid back. Most tables are set up for two people, although parties with greater numbers generally rearrange the furniture to their liking. It can be a surprisingly good place to study; the clientele is usually a good mix of study groups and couples doing the date thing.

The Tuscany Cafe is accessible via several means. You can hop on SEPTA's Market-Frankford Blue Line at 34th and Market, take it down to 15th and Market and walk a few blocks up and over to Rittenhouse Square on 18th and Walnut. Alternatively, you could take a cab down Chestnut and then over two blocks to Walnut. And, while it may sound crazy, the Tuscany Cafe is also relatively accessible by foot. The square itself is a pleasant nighttime destination, and the walk over the Walnut Street bridge is not nearly as long as you think it is.

For a relaxing afternoon or evening on Rittenhouse Square, the Tuscany Cafe is a comfortable destination and a viable Starbucks alternative.