Former SCUE Chairwoman and College junior Ophelia Roman (left) presents a plaque to President Judith Rodin after her keynote speech.[Eric Lee/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

A 4.0 GPA or triple major may beef up your resum‚ and help land you an impressive first job.

But last night, during her Education Week keynote address, President Judith Rodin called on Penn undergraduates to "expand to outside-the-classroom opportunities."

"If you don't take some risks and push yourself to new ideas you're not taking full advantage of the Penn undergraduate experience," she said.

Throughout her speech -- which was sponsored by the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education -- Rodin touched on several unique options available to students at Penn. One such opportunity is academically based community service classes.

Such courses "allow students to move from theory to practice ... to be intellectually entrepreneurial ... to apply your knowledge for the betterment of the community," Rodin told audience members.

Penn currently offers 130 academically based courses, with 60 faculty and 1,200 students involved.

Another asset Rodin discussed is Penn's "four hubs" --the Kelly Writers House, Civic House, Center for Undergraduate Research Fellowships and the Weiss Tech House.

"These hubs geographically and thematically form the spine of Penn," she said.

In particular, Rodin challenged students to take advantage of CURF and to "experience research firsthand."

Rodin found such research opportunities highly rewarding and transformative during her own undergraduate experience at Penn.

Although originally planning to major in foreign languages, Rodin discovered a passion for psychology after working in a Penn psychology lab for four years.

The last major University resource Rodin highlighted was the College House System.

Though she hailed the project as "a work in progress," Rodin praised the college houses for their unique attempt to "link academic life, advising and extracurricular activities, and foster a strong sense of community."

College junior Rachel Bernstein said Rodin's speech reminded her how many opportunities are open to Penn undergraduates.

"The weight falls on students' shoulders to take advantage of them," she said.

Engineering sophomore Bella Goyal agreed that a wide array of options are available at the University.

But she said each individual must figure out "what [he or she] can handle."

In opening remarks, Rodin complimented SCUE on Education Week, which she called "provocative and interesting."

"Undergraduate education at Penn is flourishing ... the question is how to make the most of it," Rodin said.

Her answer?

"Get in touch with your inner scholar ... expose yourself to your own internal creativity ... stretch yourself beyond course requirements and reading lists."