A one-alarm fire ignited at the Pi Lambda Phi house late Saturday, displacing all the residents for the night.
Located at 3914 Spruce St., the fraternity house fire was reported at 11:26 p.m., according to Philadelphia Fire Department Dispatcher Collins, who refused to give her first name.
Attributing the fire to a cigarette left burning on a chair, Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Scott Reikofski said though the damages were "minimal," house residents spent Saturday night in the Sheraton University City.
Pi Lambda Phi brothers remained tight-lipped about the incident yesterday.
"The only statement we want to make is that a cigarette was left burning," College sophomore and fraternity brother Justin Bracken said.
"It was a very small fire," Reikofski said, noting that it did cause the sprinkler system to go off. The electricity was subsequently shut off in the house for safety reasons, according to Reikofski.
Declining to confirm the exact cause of the fire, Collins attributed the fire to "direct flame contact."
"It was a second-floor bedroom... the cause was open flame," she said.
Noting that several fire trucks were dispatched to the scene, University Police Department Corporal Davis, who refused to give her first name, said officials would look into the matter further.
"I really don't know the extent of the damage," she said, adding that the fire "is being investigated."
Meanwhile, safety officials allowed for residents to return to the house Sunday, according to Reikofski.
"I was surprised when I went over to the house today," Reikofski said. "The students pulled together.... Everything's in pretty decent shape."Comments powered by Disqus
Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Pennsylvanian.