Sean Cusack, president of Penn's juggling club, says the University has denied the team reasonable practice spaces.[Abigail Stanglin/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

When Penn's Amorphous Jugglers are given balls, rings, clubs, knives, fire or rubber chickens, they can handle it.

But without a secure, high-ceilinged practice location, group members say they have found one thing that cannot be juggled.

Early this semester, the group formally applied for a two-hour reserved location each Saturday through the Facilities Department of the Vice Provost of University Life, according to Amorphous Jugglers President and Engineering senior Sean Cusack.

However, Cusack said that after filling out two different request forms, the only space his group was assigned was College Green. Cusack said that because of the weather, the group has been forced into the general space in the rooftop lounge of Harnwell College House, where he fears the club's rowdy activities disturb those who wish to study.

Yet, according to Director of VPUL Facilities Tom Hauber, the procedure for room reservations in Perelman Quadrangle, the Iron Gate Theatre and specific classrooms has been in place for over 30 years and has proven to be effective.

Room request deadlines are usually Oct. 15 for spring semester and April 15 for the fall. After these deadlines, requests are first come, first served.

"The only complaints we have received about space reservations occur when the person requesting the room expects a shorter turnaround time for a response from our office or when a room is not available," Hauber wrote in an e-mail.

"Due to the popularity of the spaces, we are unable to accommodate approximately 20 percent of all the applications," he added, although he did not specifically explain the source of the juggling team's problem.

The jugglers have been recognized by the Student Activities Council and the Office of Student Life since their start in the 1970s.

SAC President and Wharton senior Simon Bland said that this recognition allows them to request a room free of charge at any of the facilities designated by the VPUL.

"We haven't had many complaints," Bland said of groups having troubles reserving spaces. "Whenever I've spoken to [VPUL Facilities], they never seem too overloaded."

But Cusack -- who picked up the hobby on a boring afternoon in sixth grade when he received a juggling informational pamphlet in the mail -- said that communication is his biggest grievance with the procedure.

"The thing that gets to me is that they won't even give me an answer," he said.

Cusack added that, especially for a skill such as juggling, group practices in spacious areas are necessary for talent development.

"When you bring together 15 jugglers, it's a much better learning environment," Cusack said.

He noted that the group also uses rehearsal time to practice other skills such as unicycling and devil sticks, and that members improve most by working with one another.

This year the group expanded from fewer than 10 members to nearly 20, and although Cusack said that the rise in membership "is pretty nice," he noted that "it creates a little bit more of a problem" in terms of finding a location for practices.

The group has performed at a variety of events, including the Sparkfest Coffee House sponsored by the Castle, Purim festivities and for the Society of Creative Anachronism. Cusack said they are also hoping to stage a larger performance in the spring.