Dartmouth College Professor David Kang discusses U.S. foreign policy with regard to North Korea in the Nursing Education Building yesterday afternoon. According to Kang, though tensions in the region are complicated, a crisis is not inevitable. [Anna

To many, the situation in North Korea appears on the brink of violent, perhaps nuclear, confrontation.

But Dartmouth College Professor David Kang, speaking yesterday to an audience of Penn students and faculty, called the crisis "avoidable."

War has been averted on the Korean Peninsula for the past 50 years, he reminded audience members.

"We don't like it, but deterrence works," he said.

Throughout his lecture, Kang, who is of North Korean descent and has spent several years living in South Korea, touched on many of the complex issues surrounding U.S. relations with the region today.

According to Kang, one major U.S. concern is the possibility of North Korea selling its nuclear weaponry to foreign agents such as terrorists.

If President of North Korea Kim Jong Il launched a nuclear weapon, the United States "would know exactly where it launched from and where to go," Kang said.

Terrorists, however, are much more elusive individuals, and therefore much harder to capture, he continued.

"You can deter countries far more than you can deter terrorists."

Another obstacle in the path of peaceful resolution, according to Kang, is the lack of mutual faith the nations have in one another.

"Just as we don't trust North Korea at all, it's important to remember North Koreans don't trust us anymore," he said.

This lack of trust has resulted in the current stalemate between North Korea and the United States, as neither side is willing to take the first step towards reconciliation.

Despite these complications, Kang said conflict not inevitable.

In his lecture, Kang outlined several policy options available at this point, including engagement, invasion and isolation.

Currently, the United States is "stuck in some middle-road isolationist policy," Kang explained.

But according to the lecturer, the United States "ought to encourage capitalism in North Korea and not retard it."

Wharton junior Kelly Ashihara agreed with the tactic Kang endorsed for U.S. involvement in the region.

"We've tried isolation and it hasn't worked," she said.

College senior Dan Han echoed this refrain, calling discussion and diplomatic measures "vital."

"The U.S. needs to give them opportunities to open up," he said.

"China took 25 years to get as open as they are today," Kang told audience members. "It is unrealistic to think North Korea will somehow dramatically open itself up."