Penn's Jeff Schiffner struggled in the NCAA Tournament last season. He is one of two returning starters this year. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

Palestra announcer John McAdams will be reading off some different names before Penn tips off against Wisconsin on Friday.

While junior guard Tim Begley and senior swingman Jeff Schiffner return to the starting five this season, they will be joined by three new faces -- junior forward Jan Fikiel, senior big man Adam Chubb and senior point guard Charlie Copp.

Begley and Schiffner started with now-graduated Ugonna Onyekwe, Koko Archibong and Andrew Toole for two full seasons.

"Obviously those guys last year left a lasting impression on the program," Schiffner said. "But this new group of guys I'm real excited about and I know Tim is too."

The lone returning starters must now adjust to a new group of players.

"Over the last couple of years, we really didn't get too many reps together," Begley said. "We lost a bunch of guys that I loved playing with and who I knew everything they were going to do.

"I think it might not be as smooth right away, but we're getting there."

Schiffner believes that the starting five has already achieved cohesion.

"We got a chance to go to Spain this summer and obviously we've been practicing for over a month," he said. "So I think the adjustment period is hopefully over. Come Friday night, I think everyone's going to be ready to go. We all feel real comfortable with each other."

The two returning starters will be asked to take on new roles on the team.

Last year, the offense would normally run through Onyekwe and Archibong in the post, who would then kick the ball out to Begley and Schiffner at the perimeter.

With the loss of Penn's two most dominating inside players, Schiffner and Begley will get different looks at the basket.

"I think we'll probably end up taking more shots, but I don't think our mentalities have changed," Begley said.

"I think that instead of just penetrating and looking to pass a lot, I've got to be able to pull up for a little jump shot," he added. "I've always been taught to pass the ball first, so it's been a little tough for me shooting the shots. I look forward to chucking them up a little bit more."

Penn coach Fran Dunphy believes Begley and Schiffner are up for the challenge.

"The nice thing about them is that they're intelligent and unselfish," he said. "I think they appreciate their role this year, and I think they understand what they have to do to make us a better team. They've been great over these last few weeks of practice."

Last year, Begley averaged just under seven points per game, shooting 46 percent from the field.

Schiffner was a unanimous All-Ivy selection in 2002-03, averaging 11.4 points per game and leading the nation with a 49.3 three-point shooting percentage.

However, in the Quakers' final game, a 77-63 loss against Oklahoma State in the NCAA Tournament, Schiffner was heavily defended. He shot just 1-for-4 from the field, including 1-for-3 from beyond the arc, for four points.

The senior will likely be the focus of opposing defenses all of this year.

"They're probably going to keep a similar close eye on me shooting the three-pointer," he said. "I've gotten a lot of attention for that."

Dunphy feels that Schiffner will find different ways to score this season.

"We have a lot of different sets that we run for Schiff and he's going to have to continue to work hard," Dunphy said. "When he gets his opportunities, he's going to have to take advantage of it. They may not always come as a three-point shot -- maybe it's a shot-fake and [he'll] get himself to 12 feet, leaning in for a jump shot.

"There's other ways to score other than just spotting up and shooting threes. He's going to have to be hard-working and smart about how he approaches the game."

Begley also feels that his teammate's scoring will not suffer with the loss of last year's seniors.

"Schiff's a great shooter and he goes to the rim," he said. "He's got to do a little more getting to the basket this year, which I don't think he'll have a problem doing. I think he'll have more of a problem getting shots off just because teams are going to key in on him so much."

Both Begley and Schiffner don't feel as if they have to become the Quakers' go-to players.

"You can say that Jeff and I are taking on more of a go-to role," Begley said. "But I think both of us will tell you that right now with Jan and Chubb down low and Charlie outside, if those three guys come out making shots, there's no need for a go-to guy."

Ultimately, Penn believes that everyone will have to contribute to this season's success, not just one or two players.

"I don't think this year we have a guy who's going to go out and drop 35 and dominate the game," Schiffner said. "What we do have is a good group of guys -- a real team in the sense of the word.

"I don't feel any extra pressure on myself. I don't think anyone else feels a lot of pressure. We're going to win games as a team this year, with everyone contributing in ways they can."

While Dunphy has decided on a starting lineup for Friday, he indicated that it is far from certain that those five players will remain starters throughout the season.

"It's going to be a work in progress and a trial-by-error here, and we'll see what the best combinations will be," he said.

While a great deal of attention has been placed on Penn's starters, both Dunphy and Begley expressed optimism in the team's bench players.

"I like the next group of guys," the Penn coach said. "They're a good combination of guys that gives us great energy and speed coming off the bench."

"We've got a hell of a bench nobody's seen and nobody knows," Begley said.