Penn freshman Mark Zoller passes the ball during a fall practice. Last year Zoller was the Philadelphia Catholic League Player of the Year while playing for Saint Joseph's Prep. There he averaged 21.4 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. [Ian Zuckerm

After back-to-back Ivy League championships, the Penn men's basketball team has lost senior all-everythings Ugonna Onyekwe, Koko Archibong and Andrew Toole.

For years, these players did everything Penn needed on a basketball floor. To help offset these losses, the Quakers might need someone who can do a bit of everything.

Penn coach Fran Dunphy brought in such a player in this year's four-man recruiting class in local product Mark Zoller.

"If I can get on the floor then that's great, but I just want to help the team," Zoller said. "If they need me to rebound then I will come in and rebound, and if they need me to score points then I will come in and try to score some points."

Last year while playing at Saint Joseph's Preparatory School, Zoller dominated the Philadelphia Catholic League on his way to earning the Philadelphia Daily News' award for Co-Player of the Year in the city for the championship squad. The 6'6" forward -- who was coached by former La Salle coach Speedy Morris in high school -- averaged 21.4 points and pulled down 11.8 rebounds per game.

As is the case with all of the freshmen, Zoller and Dunphy do not know where he will fit into Penn's system and how much playing time he will receive. However, with his ability to play both inside and outside, both have confidence that he is fully prepared to help the Red and Blue in whatever way is asked of him.

"You would look at him and say he's undersized as a 6'5 1/2", 6'6" forward-type guy, but he's a terrific basketball player," Dunphy said. "He just gets things done. He's a guy that can score. He will battle."

Coming from a local program, Zoller may have to deal with expectations from local fans familiar with his game. However, he believes that there has been no additional pressure placed upon him.

"Sometimes people ask me how I am doing and how things are because they recognize me," Zoller said. "But it hasn't been bad or anything. I'm just trying to come in and help the team, same as all the other guys."

While he had impressive numbers last year at the high school level, Dunphy is still not sure how many opportunities the freshman will get.

Despite his play in high school that centered around the power game, at 6'6", Zoller most likely projects as a small forward. That position is currently manned by Penn's only returning first-team All-Ivy performer, Jeff Schiffner.

"Even with such a large amount of incoming talent, it will still be difficult for any of these freshmen to get regular minutes," Dunphy said. There are "a lot of capable and more experienced players ahead of them on the depth chart."

For Zoller, the adjustment from high school to Penn has been made easier because of some of the other incoming players that will be joining him, including Ibrahim Jaaber, a freshman guard and his roommate.

"It's been a lot easier to come in here because I knew some of the guys here," Zoller said. "I've seen a couple of them play before and actually came on my recruiting visit with the guy who is my roommate now, Ibrahim Jaaber, so that's made it easier, too."

Yet despite incoming talent and having played for one of the best teams in the city, it remains to be seen as to how Zoller will affect the Quakers immediately.

"When they do get [their opportunity], how do they handle it?" Dunphy said. "That will be the key. Are they nervous? Are they afraid?"