[Noel Fahden/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

As of Saturday night, I'm done. Well, at least I'm almost done. My yearlong term as executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian won't technically be over for another month, but as of Saturday, my successor will be picked and my days will be numbered.

I am already confident in the successors that we will choose. We've spent months (and even years) training them to take over the reins of our operation, and they have the capacity to do it on their own.

But if I'm worried about one thing, it's that the footing we've established in the past few weeks with the minority communities will be forgotten or even washed away.

This isn't to insinuate that those who take over for me aren't as concerned about the issues between the media and marginalized communities on campus.

But picture this: Saturday, you receive a phone call in the middle of the night. On the other end you hear a crowd of drunk and screaming college students. They're congratulating you, laughing hysterically and muttering about champagne. Partying ensues well into the early hours of Sunday morning, at which point you're released back into your own custody -- which will likely mean you're headed to... bed. All you want is sleep. Ah, yes, the true life of a DP editor is beginning.

But worst of all, when you walk into the office Sunday evening at 6 p.m. for story conference, you are in charge. It's all yours, for better or for worse -- and that's a remarkably scary prospect.

All of a sudden, you're thinking about one thing and one thing alone -- getting the paper out by a fast-approaching deadline (without any misspelled names, blank spaces or boring headlines).

And for the first couple of weeks, this is really all that you can manage. Taking over the day-to-day operations of a large daily newspaper has its tolls, and what goes by the wayside are the long-term projects and foresight. You're so focused on that day that it's difficult to look ahead. And that is absolutely not your fault.

And herein lies my greatest fear. In the past two months, the DP has been attempting to find a legitimate solution for an ongoing problem on campus -- the conflicts between our paper and the minority communities.

This recurring problem flares up almost on an annual basis, and yet it seems that we are continually having the same discussion. Every time an issue from the minority communities is brought forth, the discussion starts from the same square one -- and there is no progress in that.

My top priority for this year's transition is to ensure that the progress we have made in the past two months does not erode. After multiple meetings between minority leaders and the DP's editors, as well as a town hall discussion, we have managed to genuinely open dialogue and increase communication.

We have flushed out and explained in detail certain situations from this semester that instigated controversy -- for example, why we decide to run headshots of Penn students charged with crimes.

There are certain debates -- and this one is a perfect example -- on which the DP and the community may forever disagree. As a daily newspaper and this community's main source for information, the DP feels an obligation to provide the most detailed articles as possible, particularly when it comes to safety on this campus.

There are those who counter that the DP is a student newspaper and therefore should be forced into moderate censorship.

We will always disagree.

But on the issues that can be developed and discussed -- such as minority recruitment, the promotion of stereotypes and the difference between intention and perception -- there is a positive and understanding future in sight.

These issues will be tackled in the coming months, as it's the lone priority for community relations that I will pass down to my successor. The DP, despite its upcoming transition, will continue to make relations with marginalized and minority communities on campus an issue of utmost importance.

What we can do from this point on is launch a multi-pronged attack.

First, we can increase education and awareness of these issues within the walls of the DP and also externally. It is not enough for the DP's 20-plus editors to engage in thoughtful dialogue with the minority communities -- it is a responsibility of the Penn community at large. We can increase our focus on minority recruitment and retention at the DP as well.

Most importantly, we can continue to facilitate real and productive dialogue within and outside of our communities. Discussion will lead to progression.

In the upcoming months, I can guarantee no solutions. The issues that we are tackling are not solvable -- at least not readily.

I ask for patience and cooperation from the community as the DP transitions into the 120th Board of Editors and Managers. I ask to not have fingers pointed at me, or at my colleagues, any longer. I am expecting a certain level of trust and respect from the community as we attempt to tackle these issues amidst a constantly changing environment.

I want this to work, but there's still that paper to put out on a nightly basis. So bear with us, and continue to discuss. We'll get there.

Amy Potter is a senior World History major from Albuquerque, N.M. and executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian.